McDonalds Kiosk News
McDonalds is a platform and company which influences and drives the self-service market. In the U.S. they have done many pilots over the years. In Europe they have moved ahead with self-service.
Maybe defining McDonalds as the new fast food (closer to fast casual) makes the most sense.
See the video of McDonald’s self-order kiosk and their “Just For You” program. As far as who is building the units my first guess would be Zivelo actually. Acrelec makes them in Europe (and maybe Evoke). Acrelec recently acquired Hyperactive here in the US.
It’s important to clearly state why self-order has gone into Fast Casual and why it is now being considered for Fast Food.
Adam of Lilitab puts it very good when he says, ““Self Service removes the need for many (but not all) cashiers allowing the business to focus more closely on their core strategic objectives; those objectives differ for Fast Food (lowest cost) vs. Fast Casual (better quality, better guest experience).”
US news — McDonalds sanctions a new self-service solution along with digital signs after testing. The new solution package is being offered to franchisees to purchase with small subsidy from McDonalds to assist.
Current kiosk industry participants seem to include Coates and Zivelo. Printers are Epson (after some troublesome other brand?)
DOL rules are being delayed in states like California. That is combination of overtime and minimum pay.
Europe News — Back in March McD announced 8000 or so restaurants would be equipped. Estimates are less than 1500.
McDonalds Self-Service News Feed
- McDonald’s Franchisee Offers Employees Daily Access to Earned Wages via Mobile App 2017/08/03 Instant wages access reduced absenteeism and theft while improving employee morale. Source: hospitalitytechnology.edgl.com Nice article on providing quick access to wages for employees instead of the typical once a week, every two week paycheck.
- McDonalds Kiosk- Fact checking website disputes claim that Wendy’s replaced workers with kiosks 2017/07/28 Snopes.com, a fact checking website, reported that a July 20, 2017 meme claim that Wendy’s replaced 6,000 workers with kiosks is false. Source: www.kioskmarketplace.com Snopes.com, a fact checking website, reported that a July 20, 2017 meme claim that Wendy’s replaced 6,000 workers with kiosks is false. The claim was posted on the Facebook page of Turning Point USA, a ...
- order kiosks McDonalds Rome 2017/06/29 very nice order kiosks in Rome centre Piazza di Spagna. 11 wall mounted 32″ kiosks installed to prevent queues. very nice Source: youtu.be
- McDonald’s clarifies: No plans to replace workers with kiosks 2017/06/29 Cowen & Co. upgraded McDonald’s outlook based on the chain’s technology upgrades, including self-order kiosks. The company has been deploying kiosks globally for a decade but has not used them to replace workers. Source: www.qsrweb.com
- Kiosks are no labor savior – Employees increase 2017/06/29 Blog: Despite some reports, McDonald’s not cutting labor by adding touchscreens Source: www.nrn.com Point of view on what self-order kiosks at McDonalds in fact portend, require and generally mean. And its not replacing people.
- McDonald’s hits all-time high as Wall Street cheers replacement of cashiers with kiosks 2017/06/22 McDonalds Kiosk Raises Earnings Expectations by AnalystsCowen says McDonald’s will upgrade 2,500 restaurants to its “Experience of the Future” technology by year-end, which includes digital ordering kiosks. The firm raises its rating on McDonald’s to outperform from market perform and price target for the shares to $180 from $142. Same store sales estimate for 2018 raised to ...
- McDonald’s in Norwell offers touch-screen ordering 2017/06/20 NORWELL – The McDonald’s restaurant on Route 53 in Norwell is among the first of the burger chain’s 300 franchises in Massachusetts to be equipped with touch-screen kiosks. Using a kiosk, a customer can scan the menu and place an order, swipe a credit or debit card, get an order number and wait for the ...
- Kiosks, Tablets, and Mobile Orders Coming to a Restaurant Near You 2017/06/02 From McDonalds Experience of the Future to Panera 2.0, the restaurant industry is investing heavily in technology as a means of reducing costs and improving the dining experience. Source: www.foxbusiness.com Takeaways 1. lift to final ticket2. self-order more likely to order ancilliary items3. End of meal it is all timing. You have to catch the moment. Shen: Yeah. I ...
- McDonald’s premieres touch-screen kiosks at Las Vegas location — VIDEO 2017/03/24 Touch the screen. Place your order. Pay for your food. Have your Big Mac delivered via table service. Welcome to the new McDonald’s in Las Vegas. Source: www.reviewjournal.com Includes nice video of the machine and customers
- What McDonald’s Move to Touch Screen Kiosks Really Means for the Service Industry 2017/03/01 McDonald’s announcement that it is rolling out touch screen kiosks to facilitate ordering in all locations has provoked various reactions; here’s what we think: Source: learn.horizondisplay.com Good blog writeup on what it means for industry given McDonalds weight behind new touchscreen ordering mechanisms.
- Will automation take away all our jobs? 2017/01/06 Here’s a paradox you don’t hear much about: despite a century of creating machines to do our work for us, the proportion of adults in the US with a job has consistently gone up for the past 125 years. Why hasn’t human labor become redundant and our skills obsolete? Source: www.ted.com In this talk about the future ...
- Open Letter to Washington Post – Job Killing Kiosks 2016/12/31 Source: www.linkedin.com Here is a personal opinion letter/piece that I wrote for rebuttal to Andy Puzder and Rensi. I was deliberately ruthless and demonstrative for effect. I also sent to the Washington Post and may send to some more. I also published as personal letter on the Kiosk industry group site.
- Feature – Serves you right! 2016/12/27 Good article by Elliot Maras published last week regarding jobs and the fast food kiosk. By now you’ve already heard it — the introduction of self-order restaurant kiosks is raising fears that kiosks are killing jobs. News media outlets and websites are perpetuating the story that restaurants want to replace workers with kiosks to protect their ...
- Kiosks in Fast Food Creating Jobs and Increasing Revenues – Counterpoint 2016/12/14 Kiosks killing jobs? Current events beg the question, but the facts say otherwiseReprinted with permission Dec. 12, 2016 | by Elliot Maras We at the Kiosk Industry Association have seen the news media running controversial headlines and opinion pieces by CEOs and ex-CEOs decrying the minimum wage increase and attributing loss of jobs to self-order. Nothing ...
- McDonald’s Automation is the Fault of Wage Demands, Says Ex-Exec 2016/12/11 According to him, McDonald’s introduced self-service kiosks in response to increased wage demands from workers. Source: www.investopedia.com nice exposition of ex-ceo logic and how he is missing much of the context of the issue.
Older Archived News
Aug 16, 2004 – McDonalds & Music. McDonald’s fast-food chain said global sales climbed 6.4 percent last month, a 15th straight monthly increase, spurred by …
Aug 31, 2004 – McDonald’s to use cashless RFID payment system. Globe and Mail Update. TORONTO, Aug. 18 McDonald’s restaurants has announced an …
Sep 2, 2003 – KIS and McDonalds. KIS delivering POS kiosks forMcDonalds. McDonald’s takes a closer step to self-serve. Updated: 7/25/2003 9:58 AM
May 16, 2011 – McDonald’s to shake up food ordering system.McDonald’s is to change the way customers order its meals in Europe, partly replacing cashiers …
Oct 23, 2003 – McDonald’s is testing kiosks that allow customers to place orders by touching food and drink icons on a computer screen instead of telling a …
Dec 20, 2005 – U.S. McDonald’s guests no longer able to burn music on in-store kiosks. OAK BROOK, Ill. (Dec. 8) – McDonald’s Corp. has halted a test of …