The next webinar in the U.S. Access Board‘s free monthly series will take place March 1 from 2:30 – 4:00 (ET)and feature an open question-and-answer session. Questions are welcome on any of the Board‘s guidelines or standards, including the ADA and ABA Accessibility Standards and new standards for medical diagnostic equipment, as well as other topics related to the work of the Board. Questions can be submitted in advance or during the session.
Visit www.accessibilityonline.org for more information or to register. Webinar attendees can earn continuing education credits. The webinar series is hosted by the ADA National Network in cooperation with the Board. Archived copies of previous Board webinars are available on the site.
ADA News – US Access Board Meeting in Washington, D.C.
On November 1st as part of our ADA Committee, several of us traveled to Washington, DC to meet with the U.S. Access Board.
The reason for visiting was to introduce ourselves to each other, discuss how we can work together more closely and give the Board an update on some of the latest access technology being used in the self-service space.
The discussions were wide-ranging and what started off as a 90 minute session transformed into 3 hours of conversation.
From Bruce Bailey of U.S. Access Board, “Thanks everyone for meeting with us and to Craig for organizing the visit.
From our perspective, the meeting was quite informative and we very much look forward to working with you all in the future.”
Major takeaways for us with the kiosk industry group association is coming up with a voluntary consensus document for accessibility. And doing that in process that follows the ANSI process. That means:
- Consensus must be reached by representatives from materially affected and interested parties
- Standards are required to undergo public reviews when any member of the public may submit comments
- Comments from the consensus body and public review commenters must be responded to in good faith
Finally, but hardly least, is that David Capozzi mentioned the “AIM HIGH Act”. It is not about kiosks per se, but it is the most likely pending legislation to require participation. It is just a bill for now, but it has been reintroduced a few times, so it seems to be getting close.
Members of the U.S. Access Board attending included:
- David M. Capozzi, Executive Director
- Marsha Mazz, Director
- Bruce Bailey – Accessibility IT Specialist
- Timothy Creagan – Senior Accessibility IT Specialist
- Rex Pace – Technical Assistance Coordinator
Members of the Kiosk Industry ADA Committee attending included:
- James Kruper – CEO KioWare
- Michael James – CEO iPadKiosks
- Randy Amundson – Frank Mayer and Associates, Inc.
- Peter Jarvis – Senior Executive VP, Storm Interface
- Craig Keefner – Olea Kiosks, Inc.
Photo Gallery (click for full size)
ADA Kiosk – U.S. Access Board Launches YouTube Channel
The U.S. Access Board is a federal agency that promotes equality for people with disabilities through leadership in accessible design and the development of accessibility guidelines and standards. Its guidelines and standards address access to the built environment, information and communication technology, transportation, and medical diagnostic equipment. The Board also provides technical assistance and training on these design requirements and enforces accessibility standards that apply to facilities funded by the federal government. US Access-Board Website: https://www.access-board.gov/
More ADA Information
- Kiosk ADA Accessibility Guidelines – August 2020 KMA Framework Available for Purchase
- Kiosk Accessibility Patient Kiosks
- Press Release – Kiosk Manufacturer Association (KMA) Announces New Accessibility Committee Chairpersons
- JAWS Kiosk
- Kiosk Manufacturer Association (KMA) Announces Research Panel, MCR and NRF
- Jaws Kiosk – Vispero Storm Collaborate on Accessible Kiosk Solution
- Join Our Accessibility Research Panel
- FMagazine Fall 2019 – Accessible Kiosks, Merchandising Displays and Best Design
- ADA and Accessibility Quiz and MCR Guidelines for ADA
- An Accessible Kiosk
- Gold Sponsor – Vispero – ADA Accessibility Software Consultant
- ADA Compliance For Restaurants
- How Companies Can Prevent ADA Website Accessibility Lawsuits
- ADA Accessibility and Self-Service For All
- CSUN ADA Interview – AudioEye in Anaheim March 2019