ADA News – US Access Board Meeting in Washington, D.C.
On November 1st as part of our ADA Committee, several of us traveled to Washington, DC to meet with the U.S. Access Board.
The reason for visiting was to introduce ourselves to each other, discuss how we can work together more closely and give the Board an update on some of the latest access technology being used in the self-service space.
The discussions were wide-ranging and what started off as a 90 minute session transformed into 3 hours of conversation.
From Bruce Bailey of U.S. Access Board, “Thanks everyone for meeting with us and to Craig for organizing the visit.
From our perspective, the meeting was quite informative and we very much look forward to working with you all in the future.”
Major takeaways for us with the kiosk industry group association is coming up with a voluntary consensus document for accessibility. And doing that in process that follows the ANSI process. That means:
- Consensus must be reached by representatives from materially affected and interested parties
- Standards are required to undergo public reviews when any member of the public may submit comments
- Comments from the consensus body and public review commenters must be responded to in good faith
Finally, but hardly least, is that David Capozzi mentioned the “AIM HIGH Act”. It is not about kiosks per se, but it is the most likely pending legislation to require participation. It is just a bill for now, but it has been reintroduced a few times, so it seems to be getting close.
Members of the U.S. Access Board attending included:
- David M. Capozzi, Executive Director
- Marsha Mazz, Director
- Bruce Bailey – Accessibility IT Specialist
- Timothy Creagan – Senior Accessibility IT Specialist
- Rex Pace – Technical Assistance Coordinator
Members of the Kiosk Industry ADA Committee attending included:
- James Kruper – CEO KioWare
- Michael James – CEO iPadKiosks
- Randy Amundson – Frank Mayer and Associates, Inc.
- Peter Jarvis – Senior Executive VP, Storm Interface
- Craig Keefner – Olea Kiosks, Inc.
Photo Gallery (click for full size)