June is becoming Hospitality Kiosk Month — The next show in June (besides parking show) is HITEC in Orlando. American Kiosks and LG Electronics . Hospitality and hotel kiosks. Add in AI, identity verification and object recognition and you have next generation self-service. American Kiosks and MeldCX will be showing a brand new kiosk running Chrome OS (just released by Google). KIOSK is showing new hotel check-in kiosk with NEC at booth 2630. Send an email to [email protected] to arrange demo at show or call 720-324-1837.
May was Restaurant Tech Month — NRA in Chicago was huge. 80 pictures and our take on it. Here is our wrap and synopsis post. Outdoor digital drive thru technology from Keyser. Clover Kiosk from Nanonation (Samsung kiosk).
Top Ten Kiosk Posts
- Regulatory News – ADA Kiosk, POS Kiosks, and EV Charging Update
- Medical Grade Touchmonitors from TDS Touch
- Restaurant Kiosks – GRUBBRR Rolling out Samsung Kiosk – Case Study Data
- Disability Inclusion In Workplace Interview
- EV Charging Stations LG – LG Electronics Buys Mango
- Digital Wayfinding Kiosks at Phoenix Sky Harbor
- Payment Kiosks ISVPay and UCP Provide Omnichannel
- Hotel Check-In Kiosks HITEC
- Google Kiosks? Sixteen Nine podcast with Google
- Digital Wayfinding Smart City demo at recent InfoComm
Recent Kiosk Sponsors
- Looking for a gift card solution for self-service? contact Self-Service Networks
- Star Micronics – looking for receipt, POS and kiosk printers?
- Pitney Bowes – all your service and installation needs
- WelcomeWare — eliminate the front desk challenge!
- IDmission – Instant ID via a selfie. Low-cost cloud solution. 120 million enrollees
- FEC POS – new Gold sponsor with self-checkout kiosks
- American Kiosks – see custom and standard solutions “Made in America”
Kiosk Kiosks — Who and What We Are?
- The best kiosk manufacturer resource with over 500 companies. The main members plus the free industry list.
- Regulatory guidance for ADA, Accessibility, UL, and PCI Compliance.
- In 2021 over 1,000 RFPs distributed to members
- Average monthly users over 100,000
- Four separate newsletters – Sign up for our ad-free insider monthly newsletter
If any questions regarding anything send an email to [email protected] — Thanks!
Raspberry Pi Kiosk Computer Excerpt #1 — Raspberry Pi 400 Kiosk
Editors note: light and small format clients such as the Dell SFF standard have since graduated to super-light and micro-clients (often an AIO). The base CPU and graphics are now secondary to the most important criteria — how fast is your internet connection? You still need a lockdown and secure desktop but instead of a $700 computer, 90% of that function can be addressed just fine with a $70 computer.
Full test and reviews with charts and numbers on Thinclient
We ran two sets of tests. The first was just 10 minutes of “typical usage” to see if any “slowness”. The kind of lag you might experience with one of the old Celeron J1900 (or lord forbid an Atom) compared to the typical Windows i5 desktop with Intel graphics.
o Typical baseline for us is a Linux laptop with 4 Ghz i7-8750H with Intel 630. 16 GB RAM. (We recommend System76!)
o Typical monitor is BenQ EW3270L.
o The linux desktop ran at 1920 resolution.
o The Raspberry PI ran at 2560 just to make it tougher
Raspberry Pi Kiosk Computer Alternatives — 6/28/2022 — A semiconductor shortage combined with a surge in popularity has led to a significant supply shortage of Pi 4s. Manufacturers say the device won’t be back in stock until April next year, and in the meantime, the few that are around tend to be priced at a premium — up to 400% more than its intended retail price.
But alternatives are available. Some may be slightly expensive, and others may not have the power a Pi 4 has, but they are all in stock and ready to go straight into your next project. Let’s have a look at what your options are while Pi is off the menu.
Reviewgeek has a nice list and several of them are supported by KMA members
Excerpt #2 — From Market Research 2022
Predicting 2022 trends begins with reviewing 2021 predictions. How many were right and how many were wrong?
The consensus from many respected organizations comes down to one word: contactless. We think 2022 will be a breakout year for QR codes and other contactless tokens (facial, biometric, SMS) ourselves. Some new re-invigorated drivers include social networks like TikTok and their videos. How POS and CMS systems can communicate effectively with customers and generate loyalty. Gift cards, giveaways and incentives will abound.
- IP Cameras now come with AI raising the intelligence and programmability of those cameras and mitigating the usual USB hooked to a PC solution
- Livestreaming (the pandemic trained us on that).
- Story on Chick-Fil-A and virtual order takers in the drive-thru (TikTok video) — link
This post is regularly updated and for the year 2022 is now at version 12.
Kiosk Industry Social Channels
We have multiple social channels (albeit not very social being placed down here right?). We also have a fairly active Facebook channel (two of them in fact) but we restrict our FB logins to 2 days a week.
- Vimeo has videos
- LinkedIn has company info
- YouTube has videos with advertisements
- Pinterest has image galleries we collect in verticals
- Flipboard is our quick “don’t forget” blogger for all subjects
- Our RSS feed is here in case you want to use it