Touchscreen Monitor & Interactive Screen
The interactive screen or touchscreen display is the primary interface for self-service kiosks. At one time it was considered fully optional, now it is pretty much a given (though some keyboard apps still exist).
The top touch technologies are projected capacitance, analog resistive, surface capacitive, infrared (IR), and surface acoustic wave (SAW). However, SAW, projected capacitive and analog resistive make up 90% of the total market. In 2019 we added contactless touchscreens.
Best Touchscreen Monitor Manufacturers
- AUO – All types of touchscreens and displays
- LG Electronics Business Solutions
- Panasonic Restaurant Solutions
- Mimo Monitors – smaller form factor touchscreen monitors, displays, and tablets
- Insight Touch – touchscreens products from 10″ to 98″ customized and supported in US.
- TDS TOUCH– touchscreens of all technologies and design
Best Interactive Touch Screen Software
- Acquire Digital
- Intuiface Interactive experience creation
- Self-Service Networks
- Datacap Systems, Inc.
Interactive Touchscreen Monitor Industry News
Interactive Touch Screen Kiosk Technology
5-Wire Resistive Touchscreen
has been the most widely used touch technology. Indestructible and works under maximum conditions. A resistive touch screen monitor is composed of a glass panel and a film screen, each covered with a thin metallic layer, separated by a narrow gap. When a user touches the screen, the two metallic layers make contact, resulting in electrical flow. The point of contact is detected by this change in voltage.
SAW (Surface Acoustic Wave) touchscreen
19 inch touchscreens — touch screen monitors utilize a series of piezoelectric transducers and receivers along the sides of the monitor’s glass plate to create an invisible grid of ultrasonic waves on the surface. When the panel is touched, a portion of the wave is absorbed. This allows the receiving transducer to locate the touch point and send this data to the computer. SAW monitors can be activated by a finger, gloved hand, or soft-tip stylus. SAW monitors offer easy use and high visibility. !
Projected Capacitive Touchscreen – large touchscreens
is similar to Surface Capacitive, but it offers two primary advantages: in addition to a bare finger, it can also be activated with surgical gloves or thin cotton gloves; and it enables multi-touch activation (simultaneous input from two fingers). A projected capacitive is composed of a sheet of glass with embedded transparent electrode films and an IC chip, which creates a three dimensional electrostatic field. When a finger comes into contact with the screen, the ratios of the electrical currents change and the computer is able to detect the touch points.
Surface capacitive touchscreen technology
Surface capacitive (s-cap or surface cap) is a declining technology and is now mostly used in legacy gaming and amusement machines. One positive aspect of surface capacitive is that its optics are as good as projected capacitive and the sensor dimensions can be larger.
monitors do not overlay the display with an additional screen or screen sandwich. Instead, infrared monitors use IR emitters and receivers to create an invisible grid of light beams across the screen. This ensures the best possible image quality. When an object interrupts the invisible infrared light beam, the sensors are able to locate the touch point.
Comparison of Elotouch technologies — comparison2007
There are contactless options. See our brief on Touchless Touchscreens
More info Touchscreen Displays
- Gary Barnett writeup on touch screens
- Touch Screen Tech Comparison Elo
- Planar comparison
- Planar touch technology PDF – How they work
- Touch Systems comparison – link
- Elo comparison 2007
- TRu comparison of touchscreens
- Handbook of visual display technology Robert Phares [link]
- Bill Buxton principal researcher at Microsoft Multi-touch technology history [link] [PDF Buxton]
- Wikipedia Multitouch [link]
Surface mount, rear projection, specialty, tabletops and more for Touchscreen
- Perch Interactive
- SpyeGlass (rear projection)
- Brookview Technologies
- VisualPlanet.biz based in UK
- Ideum – featured 3M in table top 46 at DSE 2014 –
Related Touch Screen Monitor Information
- Touchscreen FAQ – Are All Kiosk Touchscreens Created Equal?(Opens in a new browser tab)
- Are All Touchscreens Created Equal? – Best Practice Touchscreen Monitor(Opens in a new browser tab)
- Digital Signage Solutions(Opens in a new browser tab)
- Success Story – Museum Kiosk using Table Kiosk(Opens in a new browser tab)
- Touch Screen Monitor – InsightTouch(Opens in a new browser tab)
- TDS Touch – TouchScreen Solutions(Opens in a new browser tab)