ADA Kiosk Resources & Compliance
Regulatory agencies have a profound effect on the business of self-service. The kiosk industry group monitors ADA and the development & implementation of regulatory bodies and, where possible, we participate in the regulatory process by educating and informing agencies regarding our members & businesses.
A primary source of ADA devices for accessibility is Storm Interface. They also make rugged keyboards and other input devices.
Consulting member firms to help guide you thru the often complex laws include Assistra Technology which provides EZ-Access solution consulting.
ADA Kiosk Links
- ADA.Gov lists all the resources in one place in the Accessible Technology section of the website.
- Revised 508 Standards – went into effect January 18, 2018
- ict-rule-2018 effective 2018
- EN 301 549 V1.1.2 European Standards — Accessibility requirements suitable for public procurement of ICT products and services in Europe
- Software — iCommunicator software is NLP that converts speech to text and also speech to sign language.
- Overview of ADA by CUInsight
- Accessibility Recap NYC LinkNYC
- A New Spin on Song-Beverly Act Litigation Against Retailers – how personal PII enters the equation. Also cameras and the proximity of the POS device.
- DOJ and Arizona settle on providing accessibility during voting
Guidelines and Standards
Access to information and communication technology (ICT) is addressed by Board standards and guidelines issued under Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act and Section 255 of the Communications Act. The Board jointly updated its Section 508 Standards and Section 255 Guidelines in January 2017.
Standards issued under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) address access in new construction and alterations to state and local government facilities, places of public accommodation, and commercial facilities. Similar standards apply under the Architectural Barriers Act (ABA) to facilities funded by the federal government. The Board issued supplementary guidelines for emergency transportable housing in 2014 that are not yet part of the ADA or ABA Standards.
Access to recreation facilities, including play areas, swimming pools, sports facilities, fishing piers, boating facilities, golf courses, and amusement rides is addressed in the ADA and ABA standards. The ABA Standards also include provisions for trails, picnic and camping areas, viewing areas, and beach access routes on federal lands.
New guidelines the Board is developing will cover access to public rights-of-way, including sidewalks, intersections, street crossings, and on-street parking. The Board is also addressing access to shared use paths providing off-road means of transportation and recreation.
Board guidelines issued under the ADA address access to public transportation facilities and vehicles. New guidelines for passenger vessels are in development.
The Board has issued standards for medical diagnostic equipment and guidance on prescription drug container labels.
- Section 508 Best Practices Webinar: Putting the Revised 508 Standards into Practice for Procurement May 10, 2018
- ADA Litigation – New Spin on Song-Beverly Act Litigation Against Retailers May 4, 2018
- ADA Kiosk – U.S. Access Board Launches YouTube Channel April 23, 2018
- ADA Kiosk – UX for Disabled Webinar from Paciello Group April 25 April 9, 2018
- ADA – U.S. Access Board Webinar: Open Question and Answer Session (March 1) February 21, 2018
- ADA Kiosk – Congress Weighs Changes To ADA February 13, 2018
- ADA – U.S. Access Board Issues Correction to ICT Refresh Final Rule January 22, 2018
- ADA Accessibility – Storm Interface – Software and Configuration of NavBar January 19, 2018
- ADA News – RNIB Testing Confirms Compliance with ADA Requirements January 10, 2018
- Storm Interface and Tech for All Announce Collaboration January 10, 2018
- In Kiosk ADA News – U.S. Access Board Meeting January 4, 2018
- A New Era of Accessibility – Audio Navigation December 6, 2017
- Making Japan Accessible to All RISING NHK WORLD English December 6, 2017
- ADA News – U.S. Access Board Meeting in Washington, D.C. November 28, 2017
- ‘Drive-by’ lawsuits under disabilities statute costing economy November 14, 2017
- Ava’s faces lawsuit over ADA access November 10, 2017
- ADA – News from the U.S. Access Board – September/ October 2017 October 23, 2017
- Self-Service Association ADA Initiative October 11, 2017
- Self-Service For All – ADA October 4, 2017
- Supreme Court Rejects Coca-Cola Case on Vending Machine ADA Compliance October 3, 2017
- ADA Whitepaper 2017 October 2, 2017
- ADA Kiosk – Closed Functionality (402) Final Rule September 13, 2017
- ADA Kiosk – High Level Overview of Rule Making U.S. Access Board September 13, 2017
- ADA News – EZ Access® trademark Licensed by Assistra Technologies September 6, 2017
- ADA Kiosk – revised Section 508 Standards affecting hardware (audio) August 3, 2017
- ADA Kiosk – Upcoming webinar on hardware Section 508 July 6, 2017
- Question For Day – Are kiosks installed prior to 2010 ADA regulations subject to 2010 regulations? June 1, 2017
- ADA kiosk lawsuits targeting kiosks: Part 1 April 6, 2017
- American Council of the Blind sues Eatsa over kiosk and app access March 24, 2017
- Whitepaper – ADA kiosk, POS Terminal & Walmart March 20, 2017
- Kiosk translating in sign language assist deaf customers and help restaurants reduce risk of ADA lawsuits February 21, 2017
- U.S. Access Board to Hold Public Briefing on Final Rules – ADA Kiosk – Standards for Self-Service Kiosks January 6, 2017
- ADA Update for Kiosk Industry January 3, 2017
- ADA Kiosk – National Council on Disability Issues Report on Technology – ADA Kiosk – Standards for Self-Service Kiosks December 26, 2016
- A Wheelchair That Lets You Stand – ADA Kiosk – Standards for Self-Service Kiosks November 11, 2016
- Pursuant Health kiosks to offer ADA Diabetes Risk Test – CDR – Chain Drug Review October 12, 2016
- ADA Kiosk – Seminar on Three A’s – Access, Assist and Accommodate- September 21, 2016
- Kiosk Software Accessibility – New KioWare Zoom Text, EZAccess, and Cash + EMV September 20, 2016
- Health device companies adapt to Apple nixing headphone jack with shift toward Bluetooth September 11, 2016
- ADA Compliant Kiosks – ADA Specifications for Kiosks August 27, 2016
Americans with Disabilities Act
The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) prohibits discrimination and ensures equal opportunity and access for persons with disabilities.
The Federal Transit Administration works to ensure nondiscriminatory transportation in support of our mission to enhance the social and economic quality of life for all Americans. The FTA Office of Civil Rights is responsible for civil rights compliance and monitoring to ensure nondiscriminatory provision of public transit services.
- Americans with Disabilities Act: Guidance (PDF)
- Americans with Disabilities Act: Guidance (Word version)
- ADA Circular press release
- FTA Acting Administrator Therese McMillan statement[external link]
- FTA ADA Circular Fact Sheet (PDF)
- ADA Circular training series
DOT Legal Opinion on Facility Alterations
ADA Dear Colleague Letters
ADA Final Rule on Reasonable Modification
- Parts 27 and 37–Transportation for Individuals with Disabilities; Reasonable Modification of Policies and Practices (PDF)
- Part 27–Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability in Programs or Activities Receiving Federal Financial Assistance
- Part 37–Transportation Services for Individuals with Disabilities
- Part 38–Accessibility Specifications for Transportation Vehicles
- Part 39–Transportation for Individuals with Disabilities: Passenger Vessels
Tips for ADA Compliance
The Department of Justice has launched a new Accessible Technology section for ADA.gov, its Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Web site, to further assist covered entities and people with disabilities to understand how the ADA applies to certain technologies, such as Web sites, electronic book readers, online courses, and point-of-sale devices. Covered entities have longstanding obligations to make their programs, goods, services, and activities accessible—including those they provide online or via other technology. The new Web pages compile in one place the Department’s technical assistance and guidance about accessible technology, as well as information about the Department’s accessible technology enforcement efforts, regulation development, and other federal accessible technology resources and initiatives.
Tablet kiosk ADA
- Accessibility Blog lists many sites devoted to accessibility
- LinkedIn — Regulatory Standards Compliance for Self-Service ADA PCIHIPAA More
- Topic Coverage by Craig
- Buy Accessible government site
- Article by EBN — Effective July 18, 2016, a new “meaningful access” rule interpreting the Affordable Care Act’s Section 1557 Anti-Discrimination requirements requires providers of health care programs and services that receive federal financial assistance to comply with new requirements for effective communication, including accessible electronic information technology.
- PCI Security Standards – April 8 XP is no longer supported
- Stage 7 Requirements Nemours Tour
- HHS Fines a County for the first time for HIPAA violations
- Michael Yuden elected chair of US Access Board
- DOT Airlines Kiosk Summary Kiosksummary.pdf
- DOT Airlines Technical Brief DOTkioskTechnical.pdf
- DOT Call 140228_KioskCall-DougMullen.mp3
- SITA Kiosk doc Orlando SITA_APCKiosksEfficiencies_US.pdf
- CoN Certificate of Net Worthiness for Military – link and more
- UL291.pdf Requirements for safes in self-service financial
- ADA_guidelines_for_kiosks_explained.pdf Lilitab explanation of ADA and particularly tablets. Contributor is Lilitab Tablet Kiosk
- Canadian CSA B-651 Accessibility Standards – link
- Access_Design_Standards.pdf (City of Winnipeg 2010)
- Primer on ADA including wheelchair
- Guidelines on Communications in ADA context – link
- Revised Pocket Guide – CTS-Infomatics-sm.pdf
- Running blog for Regulatory issues ADA-Hipaa-PCI News
- Section 508
- Section 508 1194.25 Self-Contained
- Section 508 Full specifications
- VPAT and GPAT Accessibility
- Section 508 – how to use assistive
- Section 508 – testing your website
- Chapter 4 Hardware
- Updates to Standards – link
- regulations.gov dockets
- DOT December 2013 Summary
- DOT doc on airlinesFinal_Regulatory_Analysis_on_the_Final_Rule_on_Accessible_Kiosks_and_Web_Sites.pdf
- HiSoftware Cynthia Says Portal
- Government Actions