Innovative Travel Solutions celebrates 2017 as leading global provider of border kiosks
More than 1,300 BorderXpress kiosks in use at 39 airport and seaport locations
The value of automated border control processing is quickly becoming realized around the globe. Vancouver Airport Authority’s Innovative Travel Solutions (ITS) celebrated a major milestone in 2017 – they have now processed more than 160 million passengers at more than 1,300 BorderXpress kiosks in use at 39 airport and seaport locations worldwide – more than any other provider.
BorderXpress is the world’s first self-service border solution that accepts all passports and reduces passenger wait times by more than 50%.
- 374 kiosks sold (40% increase over 2016)
- Contracts with airports in Europe, United States, the Caribbean and the Pacific
- First ever installation of a border control kiosk onboard a passenger ship
- Successful implementation of next-generation Primary Inspection Kiosks (PIK) in Canada
For further information, please find the full media release below.
Richmond, B.C. December 21, 2017: Vancouver Airport Authority’s Innovative Travel Solutions continues to build on its position as the leading provider of border control kiosks, ending 2017 having processed more than 160 million passengers at more than 1,300 BorderXpress kiosks in use at 39 airport and seaport locations. The year also saw the successful implementation of next-generation Primary Inspection Kiosks (PIK) in Canada, as well as the first installation of a border control kiosk onboard a passenger ship.
BorderXpress is the world’s first self-service border control solution that accepts all passports and doesn’t require pre-registration or fees – and it reduces passenger wait times by more than 50 per cent. It was developed by Innovative Travel Solutions (ITS), an independent business unit within Vancouver Airport Authority (YVR) with more than 10 years of experience in kiosk design, user experience, layout and flow analysis.
“Innovative Travel Solutions had a remarkable year in 2017, as we continue to experience robust growth and increased sales of our BorderXpress kiosks to customers around the world,” said Chris Gilliland, Director of ITS, Vancouver Airport Authority. “We’re especially proud to have expanded our customer base globally as well as providing our kiosk solution onboard a passenger vessel for the first time.”
- 2017 marked another successful year of strong BorderXpress sales for ITS. An additional 374 kiosks were sold, a 40 per cent increase from the number of kiosks sold in 2016. ITS also grew its customer base by securing contracts with airports in Europe, United States, the Caribbean and the Pacific.
- In Canada, BorderXpress was also expanded to meet the requirements of Canada Border Service Agency’s (CBSA) new PIK program. Under this program, CBSA expanded its use of border kiosks at Canadian airports, and now offers self-service options that is now available to the majority of incoming international travellers. Innovative Travel Solutions delivered PIK kiosks at Vancouver International Airport (YVR) in April and has since helped Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ), Quebec City Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB) and Montreal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL) successfully implement BorderXpress PIK kiosks.
- 2017 also saw the first ever installation of BorderXpress kiosks on a passenger ship as part of a successful two-month pilot with America Cruise Ferries.
- ITS also experienced growth of its own, adding four team members for a total of 25, including a new Innovation Manager position to focus on developing other new technology innovations.
The Year Ahead
Though US and Canadian airports remain the primary hub for the rollout of border control kiosks, ITS recognizes that markets such as Europe and Asia have tremendous potential to utilize kiosk technology given their growth in population and air travel frequency amid new routes regularly added by major airlines.
In addition, international seaports are another relatively untapped market for kiosk technology. ITS has already made headway here. In 2015, 10 BorderXpress kiosks were installed at Canada Place cruise ship terminal at Port Metro Vancouver, becoming the world’s first self-service border control solution available at a seaport. In 2016, two kiosks were installed at Port Everglades in Florida.
“Airports and seaports across the globe need processing support as passenger numbers continue to rise at a rapid pace,” added Gilliland. “At the same time, they are being asked to reduce costs, improve operational efficiencies, manage new and more stringent regulations, and most importantly, enhance the safety and security of the travelling public. We are confident in our ability to grow the ITS business with innovative technology solutions that reduce border line-ups and improve the safety, security and integrity of their borders.”
The value of automated border control processing is becoming more realized and ITS is looking ahead to 2018 to continue its position as the leader of efficient, secure and user-friendly travel solutions with biometric-based technology.
About Vancouver Airport Authority
Vancouver Airport Authority is a community-based, not-for-profit organization that manages Vancouver International Airport (YVR). Canada’s second busiest airport, YVR served 22.3 million passengers in 2016. Fifty-seven airlines serve YVR, connecting people and businesses to more than 127 non-stop destinations worldwide. In 2016, YVR received CAPA Centre for Aviation’s prestigious Airport of the Year Award and was voted Best Airport in North America for the eighth consecutive year in the Skytrax World Airport Awards in 2017. Vancouver Airport Authority is a dedicated community partner and in 2016 donated more than $1,000,000 to local organizations. We are committed to creating an airport that British Columbia can be proud of: a premier global gateway, local economic generator and community contributor. For more information, please visit www.yvr.ca.
For further information:
YVR Media Relations
Innovative Travel Solutions