Tillster Kiosk Market – McDonalds Kiosks in Forbes
In 2010, I wrote an article titled “Quick-service restaurant kiosks: What’s taking so long?”
The gist was that although major players like Subway, McDonald’s, Burger King and Arby’s started experimenting with kiosks in 2006, we had yet to see mass adoption in the restaurant space, despite kiosks’ rapid deployments in airports, grocery stores and casinos.
In technology terms, it has since been a lifetime. However, kiosks finally seem to be having their moment in the quick-service space.
Self-Order Kiosk Research
New research from Tillster shows that 25% of restaurant customers have used a self-ordering kiosk at a restaurant within the past three months—up 7% year-over-year. Further, more than 65% of customers said they would visit a restaurant more often if self-service kiosks were offered, and 30% of customers prefer to order from a kiosk versus a cashier if the lines were of equal length.
- Preference for self-order seems to have swung positive over last 12 months (MSN poll quoted)
- Younger customers contributing
- Amazon trained us
- Subway is big example nowadays
- Wendy’s covers 2/3rds of locations. Thinks it has a return.
- KFC to do 5000 by 2020
- Taco Bell doing entire chain
- Self-service market research by Tillster says 30.8 billion
More Information McDonalds News Watch
- Times Square McDonalds Kiosks Launched
- Taco Bell Kiosk – Taco Bell president on kiosk: ‘It’s super fun’2019/06/24 Excerpt from Nation’s Restaurant News June 17, 2019 Editor’s Note: How China tariffs might affect this are in play. Taco Bell Kiosk consumer-facing technology efforts are in full force this year. On the heels of rolling out delivery nationwide in February, Taco Bell has quietly installed kiosks in about 4,000 restaurants. Rob Poetsch, spokesman for the Irvine, Calif.-based chain, …
- Asian Grill Opens New Location with Self Order Kiosks 2019/06/21 Asian Grill Opens New Location with XPR Kiosks Asian Grill, known for its authentic regional cuisines, has recently implemented XPR’s self ordering kiosks and mobile application to help automate the ordering process. Along with the new equipment throughout the kitchen to help relay orders to the staff, these changes have helped to improve operational efficiency, check …
- McDonald’s & Sonic Optimizing with Self Order AI Technology2019/06/20 Self-Order and AI Sonic McDonalds Read full article at PSFK From menus curated to individuals’ dietary needs to offers that adjust in real time to trends and even weather patterns, here’s how top food names like Sonic and THE.FIT are using AI to enable tailored food experiences Today’s consumers have more food options than ever. The ordering experience …
- Tapit demonstrates unique self-ordering kiosk 2019/06/18 Excerpt from BakeMag Jun article. Read full article Tapit demonstrates unique self-ordering kiosk Courtesy of Tapit 06.11.2019 By John Unrein Tapit, a leading restaurant and retail-focused software vendor, has launched Selfit, a self-ordering kiosk platform with accompanying online ordering via a mobile app and interface to the restaurant’s website. Purpose-built for the restaurant and retail industries, Tapit demonstrated its self-ordering platform …
- Inside Times Square McDonalds flagship – CNBC 2019/05/29 McDonalds Times Reprinted with permission in full from CNBC May 2019 & Amelie Lucas On Thursday, McDonald’s opened a new flagship store in Times Square, expected to be its busiest in the U.S. The location showcases the modern updates that McDonald’s has been bringing to its U.S. stores. It boasts digital menu boards, 18 self-order kiosks and wireless mobile …