McDonald’s Kiosk Facts & News
McDonald’s kiosk is the platform and company which influences and drives the self-service self-order QSR market. In the U.S. they have done many pilots over the years. In Europe, they have moved ahead with self-service. Now it’s big here in States. Recent flagship installation at Times Square for reference (CNBC) which features Pyramid.
From Pyramid and Frieder Hansen — Congrats McDonalds: Today Grand Opening NYC Times Square wonderful McDonalds restaurant and 18 Polytouch 32“ kiosks are ready to take orders. In close neighborhood, at AMC Theatre Times Square there are 16 Polytouch 24“ units, selling cinema tickets since 2 years. Design, performance and reliability makes the difference.
McDonalds Kiosk News Roundup
- Robotic Delivery by Chick-fil-A in California Being Tested — The quick-service chain has partnered with semi-autonomous robot company Kiwibot for robotic deliveries in Santa Monica
- New article on “Fully Digital” Times Square Taco Bell – QSRMagazine — Also they have a nice 3D tour — Link to 3D
- By this summer, only 150 McDonald’s will remain inside Walmart stores — down from a peak of 1,000 locations at the height of the two chains’ 30-year partnership. The paper also reported that Subway franchisees are closing locations inside Walmart stores. The news comes as Walmart is trialing new operating models for in-store restaurants. It’s putting ghost kitchens inside select locations that offer pickup and delivery service from popular chains like Saladworks.
- Related to Walmart and McDonalds and result of pandemic — H-E-B is partnering with Texas A&M University to provide grocery delivery to people who live on its main and West campuses in College Station, Texas. Even as mass vaccinations promise to boost store and restaurant traffic, newly established online buying habits mean retailers are prioritizing omnichannel meal service. Kroger is testing ghost kitchen locations in Indiana and Ohio, while Texas-based H-E-B recently opened a food hall that offers takeout and delivery options.
- Digital Pickup Window Coming To Pizza Hut – Drive Thru Restaurants Snowballing — Three Lanes Now with Burger Lockers March 31, 2021
From NRN March 2021 — Pizza Hut is launching a digital pickup window at 1,500 restaurants — The Hut Lane is a dedicated pickup lane that will allow customers to …
- Germany McDrive McDonalds Goes With LG High Bright for Drive Thrus
- CNBC – Drive-thru ordering surged during the pandemic. Fast-food chains don’t think it’s a fad
- Photos — New drive-thru and wall-mount McDonald’s kiosks. These are in the UK.
- The Steak N Shake of old is gone (when customers come back they will find self-order kiosks). Steak ‘n Shake, a full-service brand for its first 78 years, is in the process of equipping units with what Biglari labeled “advanced self-service.” When customers return, there won’t be servers. There won’t even be attendants behind counters. Rather, Steak ‘n Shake guests will initiate transactions at a kiosk. “We are embracing efficiency and transitioning the service model to empower our guests to place and pick up their own orders,” Biglari said.
- Somewhat related – El Pollo Loco is expanding in Denver adding 10-15 restaurants. The restaurant chain said the Colorado expansion is part of a plan to open 140 new locations throughout the western United States by 2026. El Pollo Loco currently operates 478 locations in Arizona, California, Nevada, Texas, Utah, and Louisiana.
- Added in reverse case study on McDonalds menuboard failures along with the subsequent technical review
- Smarter Fast Food Drive Thrus at McDonalds [CNN] — At a McDonald’s drive-thru in a Chicago suburb, customers may notice something different about the voice that takes their orders for Big Macs and fries. “Welcome to McDonald’s, what can I get for you?” it asks in a welcoming, unmistakably feminine tone. While the voice sounds helpful, it’s also stilted and monotonous enough for the average customer to figure out they’re being served by a computer, not a human. It’s a lot like Alexa or Siri, but for a drive-thru: a system driven by artificial intelligence that McDonald’s is testing out to speed up its service.
- Meanwhile, smaller chains are also trying out AI tools. White Castle, which has drive-thrus at 95% of its 362 restaurants, is one example. The preponderance of drive-thrus has “allowed the business to stabilize” during the pandemic, said Jamie Richardson, the family-owned burger chain’s vice president of marketing and public relations. And in November, the company started testing out its own automated ordering system at the drive-thru of a White Castle in Merrillville, Indiana (the same restaurant that already hosts a burger-grilling robot from Miso Robotics).
- What McDonald’s Shows About The Minimum Wage — excerpt of Planet Money’s newsletter —
- No relationship between minimum wage increases and the adoption of touch-screen technology
- McDonald’s restaurants raise their wages after a city or state raises its minimum wage ($1.00 premium above)
- when the minimum wage goes up, the price of a Big Mac goes up too (just not very much given generally low wage component)
- Meanwhile, Walmart raised the minimum wage it pays to $15. Almost no need for government to do anything at this point.
- Technical Review of Drive Thru Display menuboard failures
- In McDonald’s news and messy exits — looks like Mcdonald’s is taking this very seriously. “We can now move forward with our case seeking the return of his severance payment and to hold him accountable for his lies and his efforts to destroy evidence” Article on NRN
- McDonald’s and Past Five Years review on minimum wage [Marketwatch] — Naysayers warned of closures, jobs going away and rush to automation. What actually happened? None of that and McDonalds actually ended up paying workers more than minimum wage. Here is the research report
- NRA December in Review — December marked the continuation of a downward slide in restaurant business conditions. After reaching a pandemic-era peak in September, restaurant sales trended sharply lower during the final three months of the year. As of December, eating and drinking place sales stood more than $14 billion (or 22%) below pre-coronavirus levels. In September, this shortfall was less than $10 billion. The bottom also fell out for restaurant employment in December, as plunging sales forced operators to cut 372,000 jobs. As a result, the eating and drinking place sector finished 2020 nearly 2.5 million jobs (or 20%) below its pre-coronavirus level.
- The best restaurant blogs to follow in 2021 – nice list
- McDonald’s Franchisee Streamlines Food Safety Compliance – Sales at McBee Enterprises’ 12 McDonald’s restaurants are doing relatively well. No lay offs and McBee is, in fact, continuing to hire people.
- 28 mergers and acquisitions in the restaurant industry in 2020 – The $11.3 billion Inspire/Dunkin’ deal was certainly the talk of the finance world. The deal was completed on Dec. 15. and now gives Inspire Brands an entrance into the breakfast segment, taking the Dunkin’ and Baskin-Robbins brands private. Another notable acquisition was the growing brand BurgerFi, which was acquired by OPES Acquisition Corp. and announced it would be begin being traded on the Nasdaq on Dec. 17 under the ticker BFI. The company was renamed BurgerFi International Inc.
- El Pollo Loco Unveils Concept to Compete in COVID World — El Pollo Loco Wednesday unveiled its “Restaurant of the Future” design, joining the ranks of some of the category’s biggest chains, like McDonald’s, Burger King, KFC, and Taco Bell, to do so in recent weeks.
- National Restaurant Association Plea For Restaurants – Restaurant Industry in Free Fall; 10,000 Close in Three Months
11/9 — McDonald’s announced on Monday a new growth strategy going into 2021 — “Accelerating the Arches” — which includes the introduction of a new crispy chicken sandwich early next year and the rollout of a new loyalty program: MyMcDonald’s.
Described as a “new digital experience growth engine,” the personalized loyalty program and all-in-one platform will offer tailored promotions for members and the ability for customers to place orders “through the channel of their choice.” Key components of the new program will begin rolling out in a test pilot in the Phoenix area over the coming weeks. Link to article on NRN
McDonalds permanently closing Times Square Flagship. Link. McDonald’s confirmed this week that the company has made the “difficult decision” to close the famed corporate store in Times Square, a move that was in the works prior to the coronavirus pandemic.
Wow Bao announced further expansion plans within the East Coast market. In quarter one 2020, Wow Bao will open three new locations at some of the largest transportation hubs in the region, including Dulles International Airport, Boston Logan International Airport and Raleigh-Durham International Airport. https://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/wow-bao-plots-east-coast-expansion-2020
US news — McDonald’s sanctions a new self-service solution along with digital signs after testing. The new solution package is being offered to franchisees to purchase with a small subsidy from McDonald’s to assist.
Current kiosk industry participants seem to include Coates and Zivelo. Printers are Epson (after some troublesome other brands?)
DOL rules are being delayed in states like California. That is a combination of overtime and minimum pay.
Europe News — Back in March McD announced 8000 or so restaurants would be equipped. Estimates are less than 1500.
- McDrive McDonald’s Drive Thru High Brights in Germany 2021/03/18Original article (in German) Mar2021 McDonald’s Using LG High Brightness The almost 1,000 McDonalds restaurants with McDrive in Germany will be equipped with LG High Brightness Displays by the end of the year. Almost all drive-thru locations receive the new wind- and weatherproof, sunlight-compatible digital signage displays. March 17, 2021 by Florian Rotberg In total, more than 4,000 LG full outdoor ...
- Order and Pay Fast Food – McDonalds Self-Order and More 2021/02/03BigHospitality article Feb 2021 — Self-Service and following lead of QSRs article Excerpts from: Says QSR sector has been quickest but that is not true. QSRs always toyed with the idea with most of them watching McDonalds experiment while patient check-in and ticketing at Disney went right ahead. Kiosks for self-order in Vita Mojo Pyramid Computer makes the kiosks and ...
- Reverse Case Study – Outdoor Drive-thru Menuboards at McDonalds Go Isotropic (or Did it?) 2020/10/30McDonald’s Drive-Thru Outdoor LCD Failures Worth noting the noting of this isotropic screen failure at McDonalds Drive-Thru in California (Sep2020). Further investigation points to a Samsung OH55F, which given the specifications, is surprising. Our guess is the vendor supplying these is Coates and we have sent a query to them asking about this. January 31 Update See our ...
- McDonalds Project Ray _ Landini Associates Creating Cool McD 2020/08/18Very nice exposition of McDonalds project by Steve Lister. This was a project to make McDonalds cool again. From LinkedIn post we saw — So what was the idea of the project? – The complete reinvention of the world’s largest Fast Food Chain, including master-planning, architecture and interior design, brand positioning, graphics, packaging, uniforms and global ...
- McDonalds Video – Arnheim Post-Covid Config Distancing 2020/05/03McDonalds Kiosks Self-Service Post-COVID Distancing In Netherlands Erwin Dito Managing Director at McDonald’s Netherlands As a result of great and swift teamwork, we’ve launched our ‘test and learn prototype’ restaurant in Arnhem. It’s an important step closer to operating in the new social distancing society. The team designed safe work & dining solutions for our employees ...
- 2019 U.S. QSR Kiosk Research Market – Mercator 2020/02/13Kiosk Research – Self-Service QSR Kiosks Gaining Popularity Editors Note: Short and concise report on QSR Kiosk market. Nothing on drive-thru kiosks. Quite a few players not included (maybe next time). Example would be reference to McDonalds Times Square Flagship project (see CNBC writeup we published back in May 2019). That is Pyramid Computer out of ...
- Acrelec announces $223 million investment from Glory to expand in-store quick service solutions 2020/02/02Excerpt from TechEU 01/31/2020 By Annie Musgrove, January 31st, 2020. Acrelec, the global leader in customer experience technology for “quick service” restaurants and retailers, has announced plans for a $223 million investment by Glory Global Solutions. The funding is subject to review by Acrelec’s employee representatives and certain competition authorities. Acrelec has developed kiosks, drive-through and self-checkouts for many of ...
- QSR Self-Order Kiosks — McDonalds Flaw 2019/11/14McDonalds Kiosks — Ordering Kiosks major flaw Editors Note: We never understood why McDonalds totally avoided cash for its customers. The demographics would seem to require cash in order to serve customers. This is almost considering some users “disabled” and cannot be serviced at the kiosks and must go to the counter. Cash2Card systems tied in ...
- Kiosk Company – Evoke Creative 2019/11/01New Sponsor Evoke Creative Kiosks We welcome Evoke as our latest KMA sponsor. Evoke works in all types of complete kiosk solutions as well as OEM standard models for people such as McDonalds. WHO WE ARE Evoke have been at the forefront of interactive digital technology since 2003 and work with some of the world’s biggest brands designing ...
- Alexa Self-Order Voice Command Voice Response QSR w/ Customer & Employee. Beacon tech 2019/08/09Using Alexa Self-Order in QSR Nice demo of Alexa self-order integration by Pyramid Technologies. Includes employee voice command and response sequences with Alexa combined with beacon technology for locating the customer. More Pyramid Kiosk links PYRAMID COMPUTER KIOSK INGENICO AND PYRAMID ANNOUNCEMENT PYRAMID NRF 2019
Older Archived News
Jun 21, 2004 – CHICAGO (Reuters) – McDonald’s has eliminated the middle man standing between the fast-food lover and his burger, with an advanced test of …
Aug 16, 2004 – McDonalds & Music. McDonald’s fast-food chain said global sales climbed 6.4 percent last month, a 15th straight monthly increase, spurred by …
Aug 31, 2004 – McDonald’s to use cashless RFID payment system. Globe and Mail Update. TORONTO, Aug. 18 McDonald’s restaurants has announced an …
Sep 2, 2003 – KIS and McDonalds. KIS delivering POS kiosks for McDonald’s. McDonald’s takes a closer step to self-serve. Updated: 7/25/2003 9:58 AM
May 16, 2011 – McDonald’s to shake up food ordering system.McDonald’s is to change the way customers order its meals in Europe, partly replacing cashiers …