ADA Updates for Kiosk Industry
We have some updates for ADA and kiosks.
- Add-on for Verifone POS
- Tactile “bumps”
- Tax incentives for ADA (deductions and credits)
- US Access Board meeting for January
- ADA Working Group for Kiosk Industry Group.
#1 — New add-on for POS and ADA compliance from Taylor Stands. Detachable POS with tether (patent pending). Here is the pitch — ADA Compliance is the Law. Buy the Taylor ADA Blue-Lever™ for your Verifone POS device. Be ADA and PCI-DSS compliant at your checkout! Don’t let your merchants get caught in an ADA Compliance at Point of Sale checkout lawsuit. These ADA fines are sweeping the U.S. [Links to Walmart ADA POS suit given below]
#2 — Tactile Warnings — We have not documented these previously but there are ADA guidelines for surfaces in public spaces to have detectable pattens for blind with cane. They are essentially little domes built into the floor. See section 705 for Detectable Warnings.
#3 — Tax Considerations – Two tax incentives are available to businesses to help cover the cost of making access improvements. The first is a tax credit that can be used for architectural adaptations, equipment acquisitions, and services such as sign language interpreters. The second is a tax deduction that can be used for architectural or transportation adaptations. The maximum tax credit is $5000. The maximum tax deduction is $15,000.
#4 — U.S. Access Board Meeting. The U.S. Access Board will hold its next meeting on January 11 from 1:30 – 3:00 (ET) at the Board’s conference space in downtown Washington, D.C. The public is welcome to attend in person or through a live webcast of the meeting. The meeting agenda includes updates on Board rulemaking and other activities.
#5 — ADA Working Group – The Kiosk Industry is putting together a group on ADA which will also cover EMV for now. If interested in participating pls contact Craig.
Resource and Related Links & Materials
- POS ADA Alert on Walmart POS Suit – link
- POS ADA suit just recently settled – link
- Taylor Stands website
- Manufacturers of ADA detectible tile – link
- Recent ADA violations by Trump Properties
- ADA suit contagion sweeping country articles
- 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design [local pdf copy]
More Site News
- Kiosk ADA Accessibility Guidelines – August 2020 KMA Framework Available for Purchase August 24, 2020
- Kiosk Accessibility Patient Kiosks March 31, 2020
- Press Release – Kiosk Manufacturer Association (KMA) Announces New Accessibility Committee Chairpersons March 6, 2020
- Kiosk Manufacturer Association (KMA) Announces Research Panel, MCR and NRF December 13, 2019
- Jaws Kiosk – Vispero Storm Collaborate on Accessible Kiosk Solution December 8, 2019
- Join Our Accessibility Research Panel November 30, 2019
- FMagazine Fall 2019 – Accessible Kiosks, Merchandising and Design November 23, 2019
- ADA and Accessibility Quiz and MCR Guidelines for ADA November 16, 2019
- An Accessible Kiosk November 4, 2019
- ADA JAWS Accessibility Software – Gold Sponsor – Vispero – Kiosk Consultant September 13, 2019
- ADA Compliance For Restaurants May 22, 2019
- How Companies Can Prevent ADA Website Accessibility Lawsuits May 21, 2019
- ADA Accessibility and Self-Service For All April 15, 2019
- CSUN ADA Interview – AudioEye in Anaheim March 2019 April 2, 2019
- Participate in Retail Advisory Council for ADA & Accessibility for Self-Service and Kiosks December 16, 2018
- U.S. Access Board 2018 Meeting KMA ADA Board November 11, 2018
- Airport Kiosk – FTE Trade Show In Vegas September 7, 2018
- ADA Kiosk Tech Brief – Gesture Technology August 2, 2018
- ADA Accessibility Tip – Integrating Storm NavPad June 28, 2018
- Section 508 Best Practices Webinar: Putting the Revised 508 Standards into Practice for Procurement May 10, 2018