May is Restaurant Tech Month — May 20th visit the huge National Restaurant Association show in Chicago, booth 6576 in Tech Pavilion next to Epson and SpotOn (North Building). See the banner above? Look for it at the show. Here is our local NRA synopsis post. Outdoor digital drive thru technology from Keyser. The new Clover Kiosk from Nanonation (using Samsung kiosk) will be out front. If any questions send an email to [email protected] — Thanks!
- May – ISE Europe in Barcelona — see LG video and review of show
- May – NRA in Chicago
- June – InfoComm 2022 – MimoMonitors, Peerless-AV .
Top Ten Posts
- McDonald’s Kiosks News – Innovation Stores Chicago – NRA Update
- Redox Kiosk News – Selling including its DVD Kiosks
- Restaurant Tech News – NRA Tradeshow Press Release
- InfoComm 2022 Spotlights – June 8-10 at LVCC – Best Digital Signage Solutions
- LG ISE 2022 with LG Kiosk, Outdoor Menu Boards
- Self-Order Restaurant Software – Acquire Digital
- Pitney Bowes Kiosk Services – Kiosk Service Solution Introduction
- Digital Menu Boards – Everything You Ever Wanted to Know
- Panera’s chief digital officer on the future of restaurant tech
- Kiosk Cost News – Self-Service Kiosk Pricing Guide
- Star Micronics – looking for receipt, POS and kiosk printers?
- Pitney Bowes – all your service and installation needs
- WelcomeWare — eliminate the front desk challenge!
- IDmission – Instant ID via a selfie. Low-cost cloud solution. 120 million enrollees
- FEC POS – new Gold sponsor with self-checkout kiosks
- American Kiosks – see custom and standard solutions “Made in America”
Kiosk Kiosks — Who and What We Are?
- The best kiosk manufacturer resource with over 500 companies. The main members plus the free industry list.
- Regulatory guidance for ADA, Accessibility, UL, and PCI Compliance.
- In 2021 over 1,000 RFPs distributed to members
- Average monthly users over 100,000
- Four separate newsletters – Sign up for our ad-free insider monthly newsletter
If any questions regarding anything send an email to [email protected] — Thanks!
Excerpt #1 — Raspberry Pi 400 Kiosk
Editors note: light and small format clients such as the Dell SFF standard have since graduated to super-light and micro-clients (often an AIO). The base CPU and graphics are now secondary to the most important criteria — how fast is your internet connection? You still need a lockdown and secure desktop but instead of a $700 computer, 90% of that function can be addressed just fine with a $70 computer.
Full test and reviews with charts and numbers on Thinclient
We unboxed it and set it up in 10 minutesRaspberry Pi was very nice and sent us one of their Raspberry Pi 400 Personal Computer Kits. Featuring a quad-core 64-bit processor, 4GB of RAM, wireless networking, dual-display output, and 4K video playback, as well as a 40-pin GPIO header, Raspberry Pi 400 is a powerful, easy-to-use computer built into a neat and portable keyboard. Available on Amazon for $99 (just add a monitor).
- plugged in mouse
- hooked up internet
- plugged in HDMI to the 32″ monitor
- connected power
We ran two sets of tests. The first was just 10 minutes of “typical usage” to see if any “slowness”. The kind of lag you might experience with one of the old Celeron or J1900 (or lord forbid an Atom) compared to the typical Windows i5 desktop with Intel graphics.
- Typical baseline for us is a Linux laptop with 4Ghz i7-8750H with Intel 630. 16GB RAM. (We recommend System76!)
- Typical monitor is BenQ EW3270L.
- The linux desktop ran at 1920 resolution.
- The Raspberry PI ran at 2560 just to make it tougher
Excerpt #2 — From Market Research 2022
Predicting 2022 trends begins with reviewing 2021 predictions. How many were right and how many were wrong?
The consensus from many respected organizations comes down to one word: contactless. We think 2022 will be a breakout year for QR codes and other contactless tokens (facial, biometric, SMS) ourselves. Some new re-invigorated drivers include social networks like TikTok and their videos. How POS and CMS systems can communicate effectively with customers and generate loyalty. Gift cards, giveaways and incentives will abound.
- IP Cameras now come with AI raising the intelligence and programmability of those cameras and mitigating the usual USB hooked to a PC solution
- Livestreaming (the pandemic trained us on that).
- Story on Chick-Fil-A and virtual order takers in the drive-thru (TikTok video) — link
This is the first iteration post and we will be adding more in the coming days.
Excerpt #3 mPOS
We are offering a one-time discount on the 2021 North America Merchant POS/mPOS Software ISV List With Marketshare (Enterprise). This report is by IHL Research which we have used in the past. POS is at the tipping point between oriented for customers more than oriented for employees. The report purchase includes a 30-minute orientation session (with a real person by name of Jerry) to help you maximize your dollar.
To purchase your copy contact [email protected]
This product is a list of over 175 top POS ISVs (independent software vendors) in the North American POS and mPOS markets for merchants and retailers. It is inclusive of those that make their own POS equipment like NCR, Oracle, Oracle/MICROS, Fujitsu and others, as well as pure software players like Aptos, OneView Commerce, and others. This list also includes the mPOS players such as Square, Toast, Clover, etc.
The format is in Excel and provides custom graphing opportunities. This is offered in an Enterprise License for $3,995. Kioskindustry has arranged a discounted license which is 20% off for KMA members. Non-members can get the report with 10% discount.
Contact [email protected] with questions
We have multiple social channels (albeit not very social being placed down here right)
- Vimeo has videos
- LinkedIn has company info
- YouTube has videos with advertisements
- Pinterest has image galleries we collect in verticals
- Flipboard is our quick “don’t forget” blogger for all subjects
- Our RSS feed is here in case you want to use it