Automated Retail – the Cashierless Retail – Smart Store
New Smart Store without Cashiers – Prototype in California – Retail Industry News & Automation
Look Ma.. no cashier!
Key cashierless elements to consider
- Retailers must accept all forms of payments including EBT within the mobile wallets
- Training of consumers will lead to greater adoption of unique store concepts
- Technology uptime in cashierless stores is bound to experience periodical complexities including, but not limited to, automated checkout. As a result retailers should prepare a fall back plan to prevent customer backlash
- New store concepts are more effective when targeted towards specific customer segments
- Cashierless stores could save customers time if executed properly– specifically due to the time saved in terms of scanning/bagging and customers using automated mobile wallets for payments. According to a recent Ensemble IQ and Amex survey, average mobile wallet transaction time is less than 1 minute compared to an average of 2.3 minutes for credit/debit cards. Millennials and others in this research study indicated that they want a greater degree of freedom in terms of their overall shopping experience including checkout.