PC Security for Kiosks is a big deal for sure.
Hacks into PCs bring to mind words like “Payload”. We manage this website and just the security threats to your basic WordPress website is unprecedented.
A few days ago a new “Attack Platform” showed up for WordPress.
The first inclination is to shrug it off a bit and point out we speak of a website, yet many kiosks are running content and are connected to that very infrastructure. Thus they are at risk.
There are a couple of “goes without saying” precautions that should be considered:
- Use a lockdown. There are several from KioWare, PROVISIO, KioskSimple, TIPS and KIOSK Core. These all “lock down” the common entry points like when the OS boots up, where the browser goes, and at what privilege level a user has available (and it won’t be root or admin).
- Use a secure OS. Powering off a machine and back up is a critical juncture. Are there USB ports exposed, and which are enabled? Windows Embedded, POSReady and other windows iterations are designed for this industrial type use (also known as unattended).
- Physical access to the machine and PC needs to be controlled.
- “Tweaking” windows with assigned access and policies is fine but it usually takes multiple tries to finally lock down some of what the lockdowns lock down.
- Windows Patch management (or Linux) — how are you going to implement that remotely and unattended?
- How do you manage all those terminals.
- What about the backoffice? Many “breaches” are into the datastores that the kiosks are building/using back in the office. Security begins at home…
- Do you have contractors logging into your network? Take some advice from Target. Eliminate it or force them to log in only on secured terminals, not cheap PCs running freeware Malware protection (which doesn’t always update).
That’s some quick advice.
Here are some interesting and useful whitepapers out there.
- Craig_Hacking Kiosks
- Windows 10 security overview (Windows)
- VMware-Epic Intel security-technologies-4th-gen-core-retail-paper
- kiosk-intel_mcafee_white_paper wp-hacking-kiosk
- Hertz Fast Lane Check-In Kiosk Video with CLEAR
- Retail Marketing Psychology – Frank Mayer
- Case Study – LED video wall Epic Sports Bar Samsung
- Whitepaper Retail Zivelo
- Meridian and HP Team Up At NRF 2019
- Peerless-AV® To Exhibit New Indoor and Outdoor AV Solutions at ISE 2019
- Chick-Fil-A Kiosks Installed on Campus
- Pyramid NRF 2019
- Ingenico and Pyramid announcement
- Bitstop and KIOSK Information Systems Announce Bitcoin ATM Partnership at NRF Big Show 2019
- KIOSK Information Systems and Beabloo to Demonstrate Targeted Facial-Recognition Advertising Through Digital Signage at NRF 2019
- KioWare Kiosk Software Releases New Kiosk Software Solution for Chrome OS, KioWare for Chrome OS
- See Kiosk Manufacturer Association at NRF Trade Show in NY
- KIOSK Information Systems Posiflex Showcase Interactive Self-service & POS Innovations Enabled with IoT Monitoring at NRF Big Show 2019
- Charging Kiosks Feature – Getting a Charge out of Kiosks