Editors Note – the feature image shows the founder of Olea Kiosks back in 2008. Sorghum kiosk for IBM Anyplace.
Zero Carbon Footprint, Green Kiosks, Fitness and Health Kiosks
We note developments in the green environmentally sensitive area. Many companies are adopting a more eco-friendly branding stance and using social mechanisms to inform users on their initiatives towards a more eco-friendly and healthy experience for users. Green technology is nothing new and health-concious kiosks are available in a myriad of functions from measuring to blood press, hospital check-in, medicine disposal and more. Pharmacies are experimenting with dispensing prescriptions.
- Carbon footprint — we now have zero carbon footprint McDonalds restaurants. Who’s next?
- Corporate Social Responsibility or CSR
- What’s Behind the New Urgency Driving Sustainability Initiatives? – Link
- Energy efficiency which is represented by smaller and smaller microclients and thin clients such as raspberry PI
- Wellness kiosks that perform a multitude of checks which include blood pressure kiosks
- Check-in kiosks for healthcare
- Fitness self-service — some examples might be performing a certain number of aerobic exercises in return for vending voucher, or it could be pedaling on a kiosk inside a McDonalds while you eat your quarter pounder with cheese watching the digital signage news.
- Self-service technology leveraging recycled materials, or assisting with recycling
- EV charging for electric vehicles – a nice case study with pictures of Kohls, Now we have PEVs.
Consumer and DisplayTechnology
- Samsung 2022 Initiatives
- ‘Samsung City’ Previews a More Customized and Sustainable Future at CES 2022 — lots of photos from CES basically
Here is some news we think is notable
- McDonalds First Zero Carbon Restaurant — designed to be net zero emissions standard in both construction and every day operation – an industry first.
- McDonald’s outlet shows diners riding on a stationary bike while gorging on a burger January 7, 2022
While exercising is essential, is it wise to workout while chomping down a double cheeseburger to keep the pounds off? McDonald’s fans are losing
- Look: Valenzuela City shows off new McDonald’s ‘Bike Dine’ branch January 7, 2022
Looking for a neat place to stop for breakfast during your next bike ride? If you happen to be pedaling in Valenzuela City, McDonald’s Malanday might …
- This eco-conscious McDonald’s in Philippines has a bike & dine in area for cyclists January 7, 2022
Close your eyes and try to envision what restaurants will look like in the future.
- Green & Good | McDonald’s Philippines December 28, 2021
Some History of Green Kiosks
Experimental “green” kiosk back in 2008 with IBM when they wanted to show off the IBM Anyplace and its low power consumption. It had gotten some sort of approval at the time that was unique. Olea made the enclosure from a Sorghum board. Some group was trying to repurpose the stalks from Sorghum into a board material so it wouldn’t go to waste. It looked neat but smelled like rotten hay bales. We ended up coating it in a lacquer of some sort to seal it off because of the smell.