Today Kiosk News
Relevant news from around the world. We don’t formally post all of these but we do summarize and note them. These are all curated of note by our editors. If interesting and noteworthy then KI makes a note. If we appear to be in error send an email to [email protected]
- National CineMedia Ad Deal With Coin-Counting Kiosk Coinstar — Coinstar operates 22,000 kiosks nationally at mass merchants, grocery and drugstores, and financial institutions.
- NRF 2021 Chapter One virtual tradeshow in January! We have free NRF2021 Expo passes available for that matter.
- Retail automation gets UV robot for disinfecting retail and hospitality venues. LG to show at Digital CES 2021 coming up.
- Point of Sale RFPs refresh on posrfp.com — last five months + active one for December (Manitoba/Alberta) we included the actual rfp document for download
- Intel Touchless 2020 Whitepaper – Opinion – We saw new whitepaper by Intel on touch screen monitors & going touchless & hoped that it would be instructive. Unfortunately…
- ID Scanner Kiosk Product Update – Fixed, Contactless and Mobile Scanning Drivers License Age Verification
- Smart City RFP New Jersey – Outdoor dual-sided 55s for public information. Surveillance cameras. Hotspots.
- Coinstar Expands Its Coinme Bitcoin ATM Fleet to 5,000 The service is now available in nearly 25% of Coinstar’s total kiosk fleet and in 40 U.S. states, according to figures provided by Neil Bergquist, chief executive of Coinme. Coinstar change-counting machines are located in supermarkets, gas stations and convenience stores around the country.
- From Bloomberg: Visa Offer Bitcoin Rewards — Visa Inc. and cryptocurrency startup BlockFi now offer a credit card that rewards purchases with Bitcoin rather than the usual airline miles or cash.
- El Pollo Loco Unveils Concept to Compete in COVID World — El Pollo Loco Wednesday unveiled its “Restaurant of the Future” design, joining the ranks of some of the category’s biggest chains, like McDonald’s, Burger King, KFC, and Taco Bell, to do so in recent weeks.
- Advice on buying a Bitcoin ATM – Mark Smith at Bitcoin Depot article off ATM Marketplace
- National Restaurant Association Plea For Restaurants – Restaurant Industry in Free Fall; 10,000 Close in Three Months
- Temperature check, mask detection and facial recognition now easy to deploy with an Elo Access App Premium subscription and Elo’s Temperature Check Kiosk.
- Chattanooga picked as one of only two U.S. cities to test smart city technologies – A recent analysis from Frost & Sullivan projects that smart cities will spend an estimated $327 billion by 2025 and could spur up to $2.5 trillion in business opportunities in the next five years with the right policies in place.
- Inside Verizon’s Touchless Retail Strategy Rollout
- SMEV Welcomes Govt Plans to Install 69,000 EV Charging Kiosks Across Petrol Pumps in India
- CDC issued report on their results testing 800,000 travelers for potential COVID. They identified only one. Questions remain why zero false positives for example. What did they do right and what did they do wrong?
- Compact, Ready-Made kiosk line announced by Posiflex. The new Mercury EK Series is a line of sleek, compact kiosks available in either a floor-standing or countertop setting, with two Windows OS models and one Android OS model to choose from. BusinessWire
- McDonald’s announced a new growth strategy for 2021 — “Accelerating the Arches” — includes a new crispy chicken sandwich and a new loyalty program: MyMcDonald’s. Described as a “new digital experience growth engine,” the personalized loyalty program and all-in-one platform will offer tailored promotions for members and the ability for customers to place orders “through the channel of their choice.” Test pilot in the Phoenix area over the coming weeks. Link to article on NRN
- Home Depot 6,000 units (we are guessing) — Reality Interactive, a leading retail technology design firm and digital agency in Middletown, Connecticut, announced the launch of its AXSIS™ Thermal Enabled Digital Hub. The leading home improvement retailer in the world has already deployed 6,000 units
- Pizza Automation Option – Basil Street Pizza — An autonomous pizza baking machine that cooks a thin crust brick-oven style 10″ pizza in 3 minutes for around $10 reducing exposure and risk with touchless baking and tap and swipe payment!
- NRN article – Touchless tech gets prioritized at restaurant chains during the coronavirus pandemic. QR codes, artificial intelligence and robots help make the lives of customers and employees easier. — Link
- PSA – Deceptive Meridian Temperature Tablets Endanger Public Safety. Includes video. — Link to IPVM article
- NRN article on Paul Brown Keynote — link
- AI Kiosk – Lenovo and Reese team up for AI-driven crowd behavior modification to maintain health protocols at sporting events. First use of AI we have seen in this fashion. LINK
- Betting Kiosk – Newgioco Obtains GLI-20 and GLI-33 Certification for Kiosk Installations of Elys Platform on Yahoo News LINK
- Canadian retailer vends ready-made meals from contactless kiosks. link
- Michigan DMV hits 1 million transactions. The kiosks located in stores around the state allow residents to renew license registrations and purchase tabs without going inside a branch office. There are 127 kiosks around the state with plans to add 23 more outside Secretary of State branches and at Kroger and Meijer stores.
- Texas A&M deploys self-swabbing COVID-19 testing kiosks
- Dubai Airport Kiosks — Nice pics. Your Contactless DXB Airport Experience Cranked Up A Notch As Emirates Introduces Self Check-In Kiosks In Dubai
- QSR with Self Service Kiosks, Pickup Cubbies Launches in Toronto. Here in the US there have been a few concepts using self-service ordering kiosks and pickup cubbies. Pioneers in the US space include Brightloom, formerly eatsa, and Little Caesars Pizza’s self-service mobile order pick-up station, known as the Pizza Portal.
- Amazon Go Stores are using palm biometrics now. Nice little unit and guessing fujitsu. Link
- From the UK — Kiosk and Digital Signage 2020 (KDS 2020), Europe’s leading one-day summit for kiosk and digital signage industry professionals has been postponed.
- Temperature kiosks — we saw an article push from a kiosk portal promoting Chinese temperature kiosks. We’ve notified the portal about the product and hopefully paid advertising does not trump public interest.
- CLEAR providing app and kiosks for MGM Resorts meeting in Minnesota. Combines identity credentials with COVID tests, Link
- Great background on Harrahs purchase of Caesars along with William Hill context — GGB Magazine
- Kioskmarketplace news — Emirates self check-in,
Walmart store redesign, Treasury to forgive PPP loans,
BioLife Sciences introduces touchless vending machines, Voice technology provider teams with Mastercard, ViewSonic introduces hand sanitizing stations, Toshiba introduces multifunction printer
- Can Kiosks Find New Life During Coronavirus? QSRMagazine article talking with Mike Geiger of Moe’s and also Michael Cecchini of Pure Green on kiosk opportunities. Link
- Digital Signage — Turns out DSE has no assets for refunding payments or anything. The digital presence at Digital Signage Connection is toast. Remains to be seen what DSF does. Link
- Gaming — Caesars Entertainment’s play for William Hill is the latest sign Las Vegas sees tons of upside in moving chips in the direction of online gaming and sports betting. Article
- Marriott CEO Sorenson on Hygiene Theater in Hospitality
- Viewsonic Offers Hand-Sanitizing Stations — The Health Flex Kiosks include options for integrated displays and secure storage for media players, routers or surge protectors, and a touchless hand sanitizer dispenser holder (hands-free dispenser is optional). See the catalog for hand sanitizer stations that the KMA offers.
- DSE Declares Bankruptcy – writeup on 16:9 — It was matter of time. It was a few years back they opted for quality argument over quantity. Show never grew. ISE and InfoComm are still running but we suspect most will migrate over to NRF just like we did in the kiosk industry.
- QSR Market Update Opinion – QSR & Fast Casual Restaurants – Is the Restaurant Business Getting Better? September 18, 2020 Editor Note: We do interviews with magazines (recently for NRN) and in those we express what we call “ad hoc” opinions based on what we have seen and heard. For sure
- Contactless Curbside Pickup Update El Pollo Loco – Self-Order with Geo-Fencing From National Restaurant News Sep2020
- 09/20 – HOW IS COVID-19 CHANGING THE SHAPE OF TOUCHSCREEN TECHNOLOGY? Dean Ward of Evoke Creative explains.
- 09/11 Buyer Beware — Appears to be a McDonald’s outdoor menu (Samsung OF55F?) with some severe burn. Link
- 09/11 Video – Behind-The-Scenes Look At Changes Coming To TSA Checkpoints Amid Pandemic | NBC Nightly News
- 09/11 Question: How to count people without any concerns regarding privacy or data protection regulations? Nice writeup by Wick of Heimann Sensors on LinkedIn – link
- 09/11 Questionable Claims — Copper-infused antimicrobial film – called NanoShield – its makers claim will self-disinfect something like a touchscreen in less than 15 minutes. Thanks to 16:9 for the expository article.
- 09/10 – PCAP TILE for seamless across multiple 55 inch screens announced by TSItouch (includes video) – link
- 09/10 Touchless Vending Kiosks for PPE – link
- 09/03 – HT News – Contactless Check-In Changing The Fraud Environment for Hotels (in a bad way)
- White Castle Trials of Vehicle Recognition Underway –
- 09/02 — 16:9 Interview with David Levin of Fourwinds Interactive post acquisition
- 09/02 — Touchless video demo by Tucker Lightsey of KIOSK
- 08/25 — Whole Foods Cashierless By Next Year? Amazon may be looking to bring the cashierless tech found at its Go convenience stores to Whole Foods supermarkets as early as next year
- 08/25 — Taco Bell Drive-Thru Expansion for Mobile Customer Orders Excerpt: Taco Bell is rolling out a new store design that combines digital innovation with a people-first approach.
- 08/25 — Circle K piloting autonomous self-checkout technology LINK
- 08/25 — Walmart adding new modern self-checkout bays in Wichita. Pics. LINK
- 08/25 — Five steps of legal advice on handling anti-mask customers from National Restaurant Association LINK
- 08/25 — From JAL website – Japan Airlines (JAL) today announced the decision to trial new touchless technology at Tokyo`s Haneda Airport, starting August 24. LINK
- 08/25 — DART Gets Touchless Kiosks for Wayfinding LINK
- 08/23 — Nice LinkedIn article on Project Ray and McDonalds.
- 08/23 — Article on UV-C Wands from CNET. The dangers of. LINK
- 08/20 — South Korea begins using a robot greeter. checks temperatures, dispenses hand sanitizer, enforces social distancing and makes sure you are wearing a mask. Thanks to Ross at QwickMedia. Video. Link
- 08/14 — More than 15,000 Canadians have died of an opioid-related overdose since January 2016. is transforming the distribution of regulated products with an integrated platform that combines industry-leading software, advanced biometrics, and tamper-resistant hardware. Article
- 08/13 – Digital signage news — Fourwinds Acquires SmartSpace. Workplace software for employees (tough market). Expands FWI’s international presence and capabilities with offices and employees in the US, UK, Europe, and Asia. Link
- 08/13 – report from IPVM on the Alabama Fever Detection deal which involves HKVision (blacklisted). $1M deal. Link
- 0812 – VA and Cerner appear to be “back on”. This time the date is October. Veterans Patient Check-in kiosk and Mobile in play here. Link
- 08/12 — Recommended Accessibility requirements for RFPs article by The Paciello Group (TPG). Link
- 08/11 — Simon Malls in talks with Amazon (ditto Penneys)
- 08/11 – TSA is putting in new ID verification (CAT). Credential authentication technology (CAT) at Thurgood Marshall Airport and others. Not kiosks, just desktop devices inline for use. Link
- 08/10 — GRUBBRR works with BlueStar. BlueStar is a Solutions-based distributor seeking to offer its customers complete solutions which can be taken to market and not just individual pieces of hardware. GRUBBRR will work with BlueStar for ready-to-go self-ordering solutions. BlueStar distributes much of the hardware used in GRUBBRR products, and now will have access to the software that can transform those products from simple hardware into automation solutions. Link to full article
- 08/04 — From HotelBusiness — Temperature Scanning Can Help Employees & Guests Achieve Peace of Mind– article link
- 08/04 – Elo announces Elo AccessTM temperature screening kiosk. Looks to be a “turnkey solution” application for wellness-check at the door. Specs for bolometer and camera not disclosed. Press release link
- 08/02 — Curative deploys first Covid19 testing kiosk in California. Not bad looking. Link
- 07/29 – Business News – McDonalds Profit Plunges 68%
- 07/29 – Henry Ford hospital adds temperature screening kiosks. Note that this has been misreported as retinal scanning when in fact after speaking to hospital they confirmed to KI that it is in fact inexpensive Infrared sensors.
- 07/29 – Esper Partners with Point Mobile rugged Android Lifecycle
- 07/29 – Sonic Launches New Design for Drive-In / Drive-Thru
- 07/26 — A man using a prosthetic mask stole more than $100,000 at casinos, prosecutors say. Colletti, 55, allegedly targeted his victims by illegally obtaining their personal information and then using counterfeit driver’s licenses to withdraw funds from their personal bank accounts via self-service kiosks at the casinos. The kiosks, operated by Global Payments Gaming Services, are used by the casino industry for bill-breaking, jackpot processing, cash withdrawals, cash advances, and ticket exchanges, among other services, according to the complaint. The kiosks require users to insert their driver’s license and the last four digits of both their Social Security number and phone number before checking account funds can be withdrawn. Each victim had previously enrolled to have their bank accounts linked to their profile in Global Payments’ “VIP Preferred Program,” the complaint said. Link to article on CNN
- 07/21 — How the pandemic is affecting business travelers in airports. Lots of pictures with this article. Malaysia, UAE, Canada, Doha. Link
- 07/21 — 170 companies now offering thermal imaging. In Just 6 Months, ‘Fever Cameras’ Have Become a Full-Fledged Industry More than 150 companies now sell alleged fever-detecting technology aimed at the coronavirus. Link
- 07/21 — Temperature screening — Suprema Adds Thermal Camera to Biometric Kiosk Solution LINK
- 07/21 – American Airlines unveils touchless kiosks. The kiosk prints the bag tags, all without the customer having to touch the kiosk. Link
- 07/20 – The Hawaii Department of Transportation (HDOT) has selected passenger temperature screening technology for use at Hawaii’s public airports to help protect the community and identify passengers with a potentially elevated body temperature. Nice article too at Homeland Security
- 07/20 – Temperature Screening Kiosk video for Border/Immigration by Wello.
- 07/20 — Olea offers financing on temperature kiosks. $8 per day for a temp screening kiosk including shipping and extended onsite warranty when you finance. Compared to assigning and employee to scan everyone coming in the building not to mention safety it’s a no brainer really.
- 07/16 – Olea Hires Director of Alliances & Partnerships – Olea announces the hiring of channel sales and partnerships industry expert, Rusty Gaynes, as Director of Strategic Alliances and Partnerships.
- 07/16 – Networld announcers new virtual summit — Self-Service Innovation Virtual Summit Dec. 8-9, 2020. Wide range of self-service interest including vending, food packaging and more.
- 07/16 – South Hall Kroger gets new DMV tag renewal kiosk. Link
- 07/16 – Webinars – July 16th — Panel Discussion — The rapid growth of kiosks and the next evolution beyond self-service
Thursday, 16th July at 4:00pm UK time
- Tradeshows – Yesterday (7/9) NRF announced the Big Show will not be happening in January. Instead it will be in early June. A virtual show will occur in January. Here is the link. We will be in 1503. Now NRF is just about two weeks after the National Restaurant Association show in Chicago. We were expecting the postponement as we became aware of several of their marquee “biggest show of the year” companies grounded their travel thru January. At NRA the KMA has a 10×20 in the Tech Pavilion. Here is our booth location.
- Payment — KIOSK Achieves Bill Payment Solution Approval by Intel and Becomes Affiliate Member of the Intel® Internet of Things Solutions Alliance – get the update: https://lnkd.in/guvyWkX
- Customer Experience – Top 80 Stats About A Future Customer Experience Shaped By Technology — Link
- Electric Cars – Electric Car Charging Stations Are Finally About to Take Off – Bloomberg
- Kiosk Software – KioWare for Windows | Configuring KioTouch™ YouTube Video
- Airlines – Changing the way we fly and interact at airports with smart self-service solutions by Materna IPS GmbH. This is not a short #COVID response but a sustainable solution to upgrade the flyer’s customer journey. Pyramid Computer GmbH is very proud to be part of that solution. New Self-Bag Drop Materna
- Thermal Imaging — MoviTHERM launches FLIR A500-EST. A camera designed with your elevated skin surface temperature screening needs in mind. https://zcu.io/yEJu
- Coming soon: The new embedded RFID module from Zebra Technologies. The RE4000 is Zebra’s first RFID module designed to be embedded into Zebra’s RFID printers and third-party OEM equipment. Endless applications include medical devices, kiosks, access control, smart lockers, robots, vending machines, casino terminals, ticketing systems, POS terminals and many more.
- McDonalds Kiosks — McDonalds permanently closing Times Square Flagship. Link. McDonald’s confirmed this week that the company has made the “difficult decision” to close the famed corporate store in Times Square, a move that was in the works prior to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Healthcare Kiosks — as news reports detail the impact COVID-19 will have on our population and the healthcare system that serves it, many medical facilities have put systems in place to streamline services and keep frontline workers safe…… — Link
- Budget Considerations for Self-Service Kiosk Success — Link — carefully consider each of these five high-level areas in solution budgeting – they will all come up. This is a macro view of the main elements of project budget, and supplier evaluation considerations that can most effect your budget
- Touchless Hand Sanitizer Kiosk video —
- Custom America announces the availability of the all new D4 desktop label printer – read more about the new product release here:
- Appetize on “What is a Virtual Kiosk” — Virtual Kiosk allows guests to instantly access mobile ordering on their smartphone. It uses QR or Quick Response Codes– a surprisingly easy to use technology– to bring guests directly into the ordering site.
- Evoke Partners with Core Intelligence on Distancing Application — We’re excited to partner with Evoke Creative for CORE | Intelligence Powered By FastSensor, designed to allow business owners to monitor social distancing in real-time through our groundbreaking, AI technology, all while allowing you to get to know your customers better than ever.
- Frank Olea Podcast with 16:9 — Excerpt on touchless — Yeah, it’s fun. It’s gimmicky. But yeah, getting the public to change their behavior is gonna be really hard. I mean, it ‘s about the path of least resistance, right? So unless it’s easier, it’s not gonna happen.
- New telemedicine kiosk option from Lilitab — Introducing new Telemedicine Tablet Cart. It’s perfectly suited for any healthcare environment to be wheeled into patient rooms allowing doctors to “see” their patients at a safe distance. It meets all ADA requirements for lying, seated, and standing positions with self-adjusting tilt.
- FDA Makes Hand Sanitizer Recommendations — FDA advises consumers not to use any hand sanitizer manufactured by Eskbiochem SA de CV in Mexico, due to the potential presence of methanol (wood alcohol), a substance that can be toxic when absorbed through the skin or ingested. FDA has identified the following products
- Video Call Kiosks from KIOSK — Compunetix is pleased to announce a partnership with KIOSK Information Systems (KIOSK) to deliver Video Call Center™ (VCC) on digital kiosks. Compunetix Video Call Center (VCC) for Healthcare is a browser-based, real-time voice and video workflow solution for healthcare providers that need to remain available to their patients in a safe and secure manner.
- Walk-In Testing Kiosks in South Korea
- Moviegoers return as Cinemark cautiously reopens — Cinemark is the first major theater chain in North Texas to reopen its doors, welcoming customers Friday at locations in West Plano, McKinney and northwest Dallas off of Webb Chapel. It will resume operations at other locations on a rolling basis in the coming weeks.
- Electronic Shipping Kiosks — D’Arrigo California has implemented shipping kiosks at their shipping facility in Salinas, CA. This innovative tool, which contains a proprietary software program, was developed to improve efficiencies of the shipping process. D’Arrigo California’s investment in the electronic shipping kiosks and its proprietary software program demonstrates its commitment to provide efficiencies throughout its supply chain.
- Will PPE Dispensing Kiosks Attract Travelers?
- MetroClick/faytech Launches Sanitization Solution with Thermal Sensing for Retail, Hospitality and Travel Companies LINK
- Ontario International Airport adds PPE kiosks in passenger terminals — LINK
- California Re-Opens 169 DMV Offices – Recommends DMV Now kiosk for transactions – LINK
- Touchless Sales Kiosks scam in Canada – Link
- Burroughs Pitches Kiosks – link
- Telemedicine Kiosks Sav-On Canada link
- Health Safety Kiosk from MPS – link
Feb 2019 – Wow Bao Expansion
Wow Bao announced further expansion plans within the East Coast market. In quarter one 2020, Wow Bao will open three new locations at some of the largest transportation hubs in the region, including Dulles International Airport, Boston Logan International Airport and Raleigh-Durham International Airport. https://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/wow-bao-plots-east-coast-expansion-2020
Dec 2019 Vending Machines for Water
Californians are turning to vending machines for safer water. Are they being swindled?
Nov 2019 – Sports Betting Kiosk, Moe’s Grill, CLEAR Airport Expansion
|Senecas to open sports betting at three WNY casinos10 shareshttps://www.newyorkupstate.
|Moe’s Southwest Grill To Open First All-Digital Restaurant In Oakland136 shareshttps://pittsburgh.cbslocal.
|CLEAR’s Latest Expansion: Chicago-O’Hare Terminal 1by Kyle Potter 37 shareshttps://thriftytraveler.com/
|Three Square Self Pay Market opens at CherryVale Mall2 shareshttps://www.wifr.com/content/
More Kiosk News Links from Kiosk Manufacturers Association