Todays Unattended Kiosk News
Relevant news impacting unattended self-service news from around the world. If interesting and noteworthy news send comments/suggestions to [email protected]
- Kiosk Supply Chain – China in NY Times news. This is a fact. Many factories have been notified that in the next 3 months, they can only supply power for half of the time; This will inevitably affect the production and supply, and further increase the price of the product.
- Banking Kiosk — Keba releases D10 new model for financial services kiosks for banks
- Voter Registration Kiosks — Alabama – The kiosks will be on the campuses for Auburn University at Montgomery, Faulkner University, Troy University at Montgomery, Huntingdon College, Trenholm State and Alabama State University. With one machine accessible on each campus, some of the universities are including voter registration education into their curriculums. Also Voter Registration kiosk in DeKalb County.
- Amazon Palm Ticketing – Starting Tuesday, concertgoers at Red Rocks can sign up to connect their palm to a ticketing account by hovering their hand over a device. An Amazon account is not needed to use it.
- Toshiba Introduces New Kiosk — Countertop and not very attractive. Apparently just a hardware enclosure. No specification provided.
- Appetize Acquired — Appetize, a digital and mobile commerce payments platform for enterprises such as sports and entertainment venues, theme parks and zoos. SpotOn is paying $415 million in cash and stock for the Los Angeles-based company.
- Biometric Kiosks For Airlines — In July and August alone, over 568,000 customers used the kiosks so they could skip queuing at the counter, breeze through the airport and proceed directly to immigration.
- New DMV License Renewal Kiosks — Since 2019, over 500,000 vehicle registrations have been renewed at participating locations across Georgia. Similar to an ATM, the tag renewal kiosks allow residents to renew their automobile registrations in as little as two minutes.
- PharmaSmart kiosks added to U.S. Validated Device Listing — PharmaSmart’s kiosks offer measurement of blood pressure, weight and BMI, as well as a glucose meter and loyalty app integration. It also offers media and healthcare sponsorship programs.
- Eyeglass Kiosks Going Into Hy-Vee — Hy-Vee Inc. has teamed with online retailer Pair Eyewear to roll out in-store Pair Eyewear kiosks at select Hy-Vee stores across the company’s eight-state Midwestern footprint. The first of these kiosk will be at the new Grimes, Iowa, Hy-Vee, which officially opens on Sept. 14.
- All this drive thru technology news. So what about scanning car licenses. Great look at systems that do that.
- Quiznos is testing bitcoin payment — Quiznos announced earlier this month that the sandwich chain is partnering with digital asset marketplace, Bakkt to launch a pilot test that would allow customers to pay for their toasty subs in bitcoin. The pilot will be available at first in select locations across the Denver metropolitan area.
- Will Vaccine Passport Kiosks Catch On As A Common Tool For Safe Access To Venues?
- QR Codes go mainstream (hackers start exploiting them) — link
- Payment Methods Added for AMC Movie Tickets – coming soon is Bitcoin and also Google Pay and Apple Pay — link to article
- Smart Lockers Benefits and Features Writeup from Retailsystems.org (GRUBBRR and FMA blogpitch)
- Sports Betting Kiosks — D.C. Lottery players now have another option when choosing to place sports bets. They can visit one of four sports bars in the District and use a self-service kiosk
- Olmsted County (MN) Information Kiosk – Using the kiosks, residents can get help accessing services provided by Olmsted County’s Health, Housing, and Human Services teams. – video
- Cannabis Kiosk News – announcement of Alt36 offering merchant account for dispensaries as kiosk solution
- DMV Kiosk News — North Dakota adds 44 new kiosks. Use case = With these kiosk upgrades, drivers can now renew a license, request a replacement license or ID card, schedule a road test, pay a reinstatement fee, change their address, and edit donor registry information. They can also check the status of their license, driving record, CDL medical card and validate their date of birth. Individuals are not able to get their initial REAL ID via a kiosk but would be able to renew at one.
- Lottery Terminals and Cashless Vending Trend — IGT extends contract with Washington State Lottery to provide nextgen “cashless” stations. Debit cards allowed only.
- Rumored News — Jeremy Brooks, the Chief Marketing Office for GRUBBRR, leaves GRUBBR. DSE has decided to dust off David Drain and have him manage the DSE resurrection. Not sure how that will revolutionize DSE. Meanwhile we hear of severe shortages of Elo touchmonitors. Not verified but people are certainly looking.
- Outdoor EMV Liability Shift Increasing — A CMSPI analysis found that chargebacks have tripled since January 2021. “If you look at January as the baseline month, May is almost triple of what January was in terms of overall chargebacks. There was a pretty substantial increase of about 50 percent in April, and that really ballooned in May,” Pynn said, explaining that chargebacks are often delayed because it takes some time for the consumer to realize the fraud and file a report. “The feedback loop takes some time.”
- The California attorney general’s office started enforcing the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) on July 1, 2020. Does your app or website collect data?
- Minnesota Grows Number of Legal Kiosks — hard to say if these “kiosks” which are really just computer workstations utilize any secure browser or lockdrown browser solution. One would hope they do.
- Bitcoin ATM — Circle K Going All In on Bitcoin ATMs — The crypto kiosk company plans to hit “thousands” of locations with 700 units already installed.
- TV Commercial for Coinflip on the airwaves – Neil Patrick Harris – So Flippin’ Easy
- What Is Digital Kiosk Advertising In 2021? — In 2017, in a Bouncepad survey of 1,000 consumers, 61% of them stated they preferred self-service tools instead of finding a store assistant. Kiosk use has grown and so has the demand. Market Analysis Report estimated that kiosk growth will increase by 6.1% from 2021 through 2028.
- AUO Revenues Hit Alltime High – Displays and Touchscreens
- Nice video on healthcare check-in units by Pyramid. I wish I spoke German
- Ransomware Attack on Ticketing Kiosks — Over 600 touchscreen ticket machines have been disrupted by a ransomware attack just two months after they were installed at stations across the north of England.
- Houston Airport Kiosks by JCDecaux — The new, more accessible kiosks — installed by JCDecaux the at both airports — feature oversized touchscreens that are more responsive to the touch and easy to use and read. The screen display can be lowered to ensure it is ADA compliant. ViaDirect 3D map software helps passengers find directions to boarding gates by entering their flight information or scanning their boarding pass in the updated search function. The kiosks take that information and display a 3D map that will show the quickest and most efficient route to the departing gate.
- Smart Vending Kiosk for Tea, Coffee and Soup — In a bid to bring a change in tea consumption pattern in India, startup venture Cherise India Private Limited has unveiled their IoT & Android-based tea vending machines that have their own proprietary Cherise IoT dashboard and app for monitoring the operations.
- Norway’s largest theme part chooses point-of-sale and self-service solutions. Hospitality, Elotouch and Leisure.
- New Gesture Touchless Solution — The UK kiosk firm imageHOLDERS has launched what it calls its first touchless kiosk, using Ultraleap’s hand tracking camera and software to capture the movement of hands and fingers working in front of a screen, but not touching it.
- Visitor Check-In Kiosk for Healthcare – Vendormate Kiosk for expanded visitor management pitch
- GRUBBRR puts up Samsung pitch sheet — Welcome to the Future of Self-Ordering Kiosks is the tagline
- Scan and Ship — Sam’s Club announced it is testing a new app-based feature, Scan & Ship, that allows people to use a smartphone to buy items in the club and send purchases directly to the home.
- BNPL News — Visa, the global card network giant, is collaborating with mega-processor Global Payments to allow Canadian merchants to offer buy now-pay later (BNPL) options to eligible card holders at the point of sale, according to a July 13 press release from the two companies.
- CBD Kiosk News – Charlotte’s Web has approved at least 30 of its Charlotte’s Web brand product SKUs for retail sale in recently launched Limelight’s TRUYU retail self-service kiosks. The Limelight kiosks have been tested at physical retail locations across the U.S., provide the benefits of constant and convenient access and educational content displayed on a 50-inch interactive video screen.
- Grocery Self-Checkout Installations Surged 25% in 2020 According to RBR. A record number of self-checkout units were shipped globally last year and in a key shift more than half of the 175,000 units shipped were cashless. That’s according to RBR, a London-based strategic consulting firm that has been publishing its annual Global EPOS and Self-Checkout 2021 report since 2008. Definitely Europe/etc focus. Progressive Grocer
- Smash and Grab ATM Incidents Are On The Rise — Rob a bank in the US and your take is <$1800 on average. Getting caught means federal charges. OTOH destroying an ATM can often net thieves > $200k, & is treated as a property crime. Small wonder then that ATM “smash and grabs” are on the rise nationally
- Digital Check-In Kiosks going in at Volkswagen dealers — Volkswagen retailers across the UK have introduced Tjekvik’s airport-style self-check-in digital kiosks in a bid to facilitate a contactless aftersales service. The kiosks incorporate functions including self-check-in and check-out, a locked key drop and home check-in via SMS direct to the customer’s mobile phone.
- Supply Chain Woes Impacting Shipping Now — Bloomberg and other media outlets are reporting how the cost, for example, of shipping a 40-foot steel container of cargo by sea from Shanghai to Rotterdam now costs $10,522, 547% higher than the seasonal average over the last five years, based on data from the consulting firm Drewry Shipping.
- Foodstorm Catering Kiosks — FoodStorm catering kiosks are currently live in multiple Uncle Giuseppe’s Marketplace locations across New York and New Jersey; Roche Bros. Supermarkets (MA) and Mollie Stone’s (CA) are currently in the implementation process. Essentially a 12″ tablet with Verifone wart attached. Catering is their big focus (and hope).
- Miami “Could See” up to 150 smart city kiosks from IKE – double-sided kiosks have two digital touchscreens and a suite of interactive applications designed to engage and drive discovery and mobility. Each kiosk serves as a free wi-fi hotspot and is location-aware, displaying information specific to the surrounding area.
- Peerless-AV New Universal Digital Signage Solution — We are happy to present the latest addition to our lineup of digital signage display solutions, the Landscape/Portrait Kiosk! This unique solution combines the elegance of Peerless-AV’s indoor kiosks, with added functionality to support most 15″, 22″, or 32″ digital signage displays in either landscape or portrait orientation.
- Ticketing kiosks in Philippines — Load Beep Here — LRT-1’s new e-tap loading kiosks. According to the LRMC, deploying e-tap loading kiosks limits face-to-face contact, and the exchange of cash—a safer and more convenient commute for the riding public.
- Digital Signs for Stadiums – Match Made in Heaven
- McDonalds AI Drive-Thru Ordering Violates Privacy Laws
- Nice article on why Casinos are going cashless
- How To Setup an Automat or Ghost Kitchen Explanation
- Latest iteration of British Telecom internet kiosk aka Smart City DOOH Display. Looks like they gave up on transactions. Street Hub Kiosk is the new name
- Bill Payment Kiosks going in at Frankfort, KY from Lane Report — Courthouse Kiosks — Kentuckians will be able to pay court costs, fines and fees at ATM-like contraptions in select courthouses across Kentucky by next year.
- The Kiosk Tradeshow and Kiosk Event Calendar is now back in operation! It has been in inflicted hiatus since March of 2020 but big shows in Vegas in August (HIMSS) and we are attending physical show here in Denver in October for Fast Casual.
- With the new emphasis on pedestrians and city markets we thought this is an interesting example of “interactive spaces” – it is a “kiosk” in Belgium circa 2015. Uses reverse psychology.
- Mental Health Kiosks by Amazon — AmaZen kiosks giving off the wrong vibe article from techspot. Everybody likes to beat up on Amazon.
- New scanner kiosk from Pyramid — Each wing of the kiosk includes a printer, a kiosk payment module, an optional scale and twelve handheld scanners.
- Amazon Zen Interactive Kiosk Booth for Employees — The AmaZen meditation booth is a small room where employees can watch company videos about mindfulness while a small fan moves the air around.
- Kiosk Price – Steel Prices Surging — Price has tripled for U.S. steel — In early May, futures prices for 20-ton rolls of domestic steel — the benchmark for most steel prices nationwide — pushed above $1,600 per ton for the first time ever, and prices continue to hover there.
- US towns are buying Chinese surveillance tech tied to Uighur abuses – We see it in realtime with multiple RFPs being awarded by states and local SLED market to resellers of blacklisted Chinese companies
- How Hackers Are Using Raspberry Pi to Hack ATMs – Maintenance Keys are cheap
- KMA PCI EMV Credit Card Reader Update – includes preview of v6 devices from Ingenico
- Social Service Kiosk – Delaware Library Telehealth Initiative Deployment
- Paying With a QR Code – BNPL or Buy Now Pay Later May 6, 2021 — How To Pay With A QR Code (and pay later) Nice writeup on PaymentDive on Paypal Dive Brief: PayPal, an online payment provider, expects the popularity of QR codes and buy now-pay later …
- Mobile App For Ghost Kitchen Orders – iOS & Android – Retail Automation May 4, 2021 — Ghost Kitchen Mobile Ordering App – Virtual Restaurant Editors Note: first occurrence of a dedicated “purpose-built” mobile ordering app that we have seen which connects to a Ghost Kitchen. Now we …
- Walmart Telehealth – Purchases MeMD multi-specialty telehealth partner
- New CPI Crane Pricing – CPI will be introducing a temporary 3% surcharge/price increase effective May 6th on all new orders, this is driven by our continued increasing costs for raw materials, electronic components and transportation. There is never an ideal time for this type of notification; however, the current global market place is driving this immediate action.
- New CPI Crane Pricing – CPI will be introducing a temporary 3% surcharge/price increase effective May 6th on all new orders, this is driven by our continued increasing costs for raw materials, electronic components and transportation. There is never an ideal time for this type of notification; however, the current global market place is driving this immediate action.
- Lekkerland in Germany putting in self-checkout kiosks — Lekkerland is owned by the REWE Group, which has begun testing self-checkout systems in its other outlets, including REWE, REWE To Go, and Penny outlets.
- Cool looking airport kiosks include live chat – Hong Kong airport
- EMV Should Not Be Afterthought to Self-Service Solutions — When it comes to providing secure solutions, the benefits of adopting them always outweigh the costs. Bruce Rasmussen from Ingenico
- Pickup Towers in Walmart Are Going Away April 22, 2021 — Walmart Pickup Towers From the NYPost Apr2021 — The retailer is removing 300 of these towers and “hibernating” another 1,300 because customers grew accustomed to curbside pick-up during the pandemic
- How Do QR Code Payments Work? — Ingenico blogpost
- $195 Raspberry PI All-In-One-Computer Touch Screen Now Available —
- Bitcoin ATM News — Coinme Launches 300 Bitcoin-Enabled Coinstar Kiosks in Florida
- Hospitality Update – Hotel Lobbies and Marriott Contactless Arrival Kiosks — Marriott is testing contactless check-in and check-out kiosks and a “grab-and-go marketplace.”
- By this summer, only 150 McDonald’s will remain inside Walmart stores — down from a peak of 1,000 locations at the height of the two chains’ 30-year partnership. The paper also reported that Subway franchisees are closing locations inside Walmart stores. The news comes as Walmart is trialing new operating models for in-store restaurants. It’s putting ghost kitchens inside select locations that offer pickup and delivery service from popular chains like Saladworks.
- Related to Walmart and McDonalds and result of pandemic — H-E-B is partnering with Texas A&M University to provide grocery delivery to people who live on its main and West campuses in College Station, Texas. Even as mass vaccinations promise to boost store and restaurant traffic, newly established online buying habits mean retailers are prioritizing omnichannel meal service. Kroger is testing ghost kitchen locations in Indiana and Ohio, while Texas-based H-E-B recently opened a food hall that offers takeout and delivery options.
- Instant COVID Test Coming To European Airport Kiosks — Pics — ICTS Sentinel Kiosks in airports will incorporate the rapid COVID-19 test from Virusight Diagnostics. (Courtesy of ICTS Europe)
- How To Exit Kiosk Mode When Running Esper — Includes a couple of videos exiting on a Samsung device
- BT dials up ‘Adopt a Kiosk’ scheme – with almost 4,000 red phone boxes available for local communities to adopt for just £1
- Digital Pickup Window Coming To Pizza Hut – Drive Thru Restaurants Snowballing — Three Lanes Now with Burger Lockers March 31, 2021
From NRN March 2021 — Pizza Hut is launching a digital pickup window at 1,500 restaurants — The Hut Lane is a dedicated pickup lane that will allow customers to …
- Amazon Driver Quits — New AI in delivery trucks finally got to him
- Bill Pay Kiosks Go Into Laredo for paying water bills. Looks like Mansur and Adcomp. Not sure about the “being held up by magnet” sign
- Digital Signage Merger News – Four Winds Interactive and Poppulo Combine to Create a Global Employee Communications Powerhouse
- Antibacterial Kiosks and Temperature Kiosks. The Washington Post did a nice article on temperature kiosks this month. Our take is still that touchscreens along with their POS devices/etc are the best way to allow the public to interact. MRSA is probably a bigger concern as far as remaining on surfaces than COVID (mainly aerosol in the air). Antibacterial treatments for touchscreens have so many caveats and only a very narrow and basically useless range of effectiveness. And you are much more likely to get infected from the front desk (and they from you) than you are from a properly maintained check-in kiosk with a touchscreen. Many of those also support the mobile handheld as a proxy input (think remote control) but then you should be aware that your mobile phone is likely the 3rd most likely infection point (#2 is toilet and #1 are sinks actually). But there are people that will sell the coating (figure $200 upcharge) and if you are into hygiene theater you can arrange some signage that tells people you have antimicrobial treated touchscreens. The CEO of Marriott broke down hygiene theater into the swiss cheese analogy. Enough layers and pretty soon you have a complete wall with no holes. There are new UV and UV-C treatments. One of them is UL and FDA approved and has been adapted for elevators as well as ATM screens and pinpads. Contact us if interested.
- QSR Business – El Pollo Loco is expanding in Denver adding 10-15 restaurants. The restaurant chain said the Colorado expansion is part of a plan to open 140 new locations throughout the western United States by 2026. El Pollo Loco currently operates 478 locations in Arizona, California, Nevada, Texas, Utah, and Louisiana.
- Financial Kiosks Soon? – Square is now operating its state-chartered industrial bank, Square Financial Services, in Utah after the state’s Department of Financial Institutions gave it the green light. From Pymnts.
- Touchless Technology for your toilet. Only in Japan for now. Also included is pic of new UV antibacterial treatment for sinks (think the hotels…)
- Contactless kiosks all the rage in South Korea. Korea’s kiosk industry has largely been led by mid-sized companies. Hanasis, I-Tech and BT.One are among the recognized players. They rake in between 10 to 40 billion won in annual revenue. Conglomerates — Samsung Electronics introduced the Samsung Kiosk in Korea on Feb. 17. The device’s screen is coated with a special film that has a sterilizing effect, the company said. The kiosk uses Samsung Knox, the same software present in its laptops and handsets, to prevent hacking.
- Samsung Electronics introduced a smart ordering kiosk solution called “Samsung Kiosk,” which allows both non-face-to-face ordering and payment. They are selling it via Fiserv
- Credit Card Payments for IKEA and others via FISERV go totally offline. Customers at McDonald’s, Ikea, Popeyes, and others say they can’t pay using their credit cards. The payments processor Fiserv said its services were interrupted on Friday. Earlier in the day, Chick-fil-A experienced an outage and gave out free meals.
- Touchless large format displays from Samsung in the news. Samsung Electronics France and iNUI Studio have introduced the IRxTOUCH KIOSK SERIES 2, a touchless interactive kiosk solution that is said to offer the same experience as a touch device but for the fact that the user doesn’t have to touch the screen to use it but only has to move a few centimetres from the display to navigate precisely through the various menus. The solution is designed to offer a clear advantage from a health point of view.
- Looking for a job or maybe you are looking for people (sales people usually)? Be sure and check the Jobs listing.
- Interview with TSI Touch Mundrake — big proponent of more touch. TSI provides the touch overlays used on many touchscreens especially large format screens (55 and up). Good explanation of PCap versus IR and why IR is better for large format touchscreens (higher fidelity). And he seems to imply that as long as we touch our mobiles, we will touch everything else. At some point we may truly start talking to our mobiles and then things will change. Interview by 16:9 good job.
- What McDonald’s Shows About The Minimum Wage — excerpt of Planet Money’s newsletter —
- No relationship between minimum wage increases and the adoption of touch-screen technology
- McDonald’s restaurants raise their wages after a city or state raises its minimum wage ($1.00 premium above)
- when the minimum wage goes up, the price of a Big Mac goes up too (just not very much given generally low wage component)
- Intel UK Keeps Up Kiosk Related Content – this one on hardware required (openvino and intel vpro). There is a semi-useful link to qsrmagazine on left effect. Has an old Zivelo push tactic. There a better ways to burn a budget.
- Good writeup on credit card surcharges – anomalies between states and more in the U.S.
- Emirates smart contactless touchless self check-in kiosks. Pictures. The 32 self-service bag drop machines and 16 check-in kiosks can be controlled completely by personal mobile devices without touching the screens
- Microsoft offers guidance for customers using kiosk mode in Microsoft Edge Legacy – Microsoft Edge Legacy browser support ends on March 9, 2021. The Microsoft Edge Legacy will be removed and replaced with the new Microsoft Edge when you apply April’s Windows 10 Update which will become available on April 13, 2021. To continue using kiosk scenarios, customers need to install the new Microsoft Edge and set up kiosk mode before installing April’s Windows 10 Update Tuesday release to their devices.
- Hy-Vee to build grocery pickup kiosks at Rochester store location
- Displays Getting Insanely Large – New Sony Bravia Weighs in at 100 inches. Also 32 inch upgraded. 600 NIT, 4K, SOC, Android TV, built-in Chromecast
- Self-service kiosks – following the lead of fast food — Nice reference to Pyramid and McDonalds. Intel pitching its footprint in restaurants though from all accounts Android cannot be ignored. By BigHospitality and sponsored paid for pitch — The QSR sector has been the quickest to adopt technology such as self-service kiosks, and are so far reaping the benefits
- Europe/UK News — The limit on a single payment using contactless card technology could rise to £100 – more than double the current limit. From the BBC UK
- Misleading Temperature Kiosk News Story — It makes us a bit despondent seeing stories like which are trumped-up success stories or just lazy puff news by US institutions bragging on their unwitting purchase of Chinese tech. We are glad Biden signed Buy USA. Much better and more affordable solutions by US companies and US technology than these deceptive tablets. Alabama of course made the 2M mistake with blacklisted HIKVision that promised the world and delivered an invoice.
- New reading channel for Flipboard users – You can read Kiosk Technology magazine on Flipboard
- Walmart Making Incursion Into Finance – Walmart Fintech Incursion From the Financial Brand Jan 2021 — The deal with Ribbit may reflect Walmart’s desire to get further into the actual guts of financial services, rather than being …
- Kiosk Market Research Report – Feb 2021 Release Comprehensive Vertical Market Analysis Includes summary PDF
- Brief on The Hardware You Need to deploy Digital Self-Service Kiosks – Intel in Canada published summary. More of a pitch for OpenVINO toolkit and vPro Intel technology. Lots of the standard hyperbole and benefit justifications.
- Legal kiosks in Minnesota — To address this digital divide, the Minnesota Legal Services Coalition requested CARES Act funds to give communities access to civil justice by creating a statewide network of 250 legal kiosks to be stationed in a variety of court, agency, non-profit, and other community locations.
- Mobile Order and Pay versus Self-Order Kiosks – short opinion article. Self-operated food coolers dispensing mentioned.
- McDonald’s Franchisee Streamlines Food Safety Compliance – Sales at McBee Enterprises’ 12 McDonald’s restaurants are doing relatively well. No lay offs and McBee is, in fact, continuing to hire people.
- DMV Kiosks in New Mexico (Frank Mayer)
- Food Kiosk Dispensing Automated Retail – Hot or Cold food vended
- Self-Service Pharmacy MedAvail
- National CineMedia Ad Deal With Coin-Counting Kiosk Coinstar — Coinstar operates 22,000 kiosks nationally at mass merchants, grocery and drugstores, and financial institutions.
- NRF 2021 Chapter One virtual tradeshow in January! We have free NRF2021 Expo passes available for that matter.
- Retail automation gets UV robot for disinfecting retail and hospitality venues. LG to show at Digital CES 2021 coming up.
- Point of Sale RFPs refresh on posrfp.com — last five months + active one for December (Manitoba/Alberta) we included the actual rfp document for download
- Intel Touchless 2020 Whitepaper – Opinion – We saw new whitepaper by Intel on touch screen monitors & going touchless & hoped that it would be instructive. Unfortunately…
- ID Scanner Kiosk Product Update – Fixed, Contactless and Mobile Scanning Drivers License Age Verification
- Smart City RFP New Jersey – Outdoor dual-sided 55s for public information. Surveillance cameras. Hotspots.
- Coinstar Expands Its Coinme Bitcoin ATM Fleet to 5,000 The service is now available in nearly 25% of Coinstar’s total kiosk fleet and in 40 U.S. states, according to figures provided by Neil Bergquist, chief executive of Coinme. Coinstar change-counting machines are located in supermarkets, gas stations and convenience stores around the country.
- From Bloomberg: Visa Offer Bitcoin Rewards — Visa Inc. and cryptocurrency startup BlockFi now offer a credit card that rewards purchases with Bitcoin rather than the usual airline miles or cash.
- El Pollo Loco Unveils Concept to Compete in COVID World — El Pollo Loco Wednesday unveiled its “Restaurant of the Future” design, joining the ranks of some of the category’s biggest chains, like McDonald’s, Burger King, KFC, and Taco Bell, to do so in recent weeks.
- Advice on buying a Bitcoin ATM – Mark Smith at Bitcoin Depot article off ATM Marketplace
- National Restaurant Association Plea For Restaurants – Restaurant Industry in Free Fall; 10,000 Close in Three Months
- Temperature check, mask detection and facial recognition now easy to deploy with an Elo Access App Premium subscription and Elo’s Temperature Check Kiosk.
- Chattanooga picked as one of only two U.S. cities to test smart city technologies – A recent analysis from Frost & Sullivan projects that smart cities will spend an estimated $327 billion by 2025 and could spur up to $2.5 trillion in business opportunities in the next five years with the right policies in place.
- Inside Verizon’s Touchless Retail Strategy Rollout
- SMEV Welcomes Govt Plans to Install 69,000 EV Charging Kiosks Across Petrol Pumps in India
- CDC issued report on their results testing 800,000 travelers for potential COVID. They identified only one. Questions remain why zero false positives for example. What did they do right and what did they do wrong?
- Compact, Ready-Made kiosk line announced by Posiflex. The new Mercury EK Series is a line of sleek, compact kiosks available in either a floor-standing or countertop setting, with two Windows OS models and one Android OS model to choose from. BusinessWire
- McDonald’s announced a new growth strategy for 2021 — “Accelerating the Arches” — includes a new crispy chicken sandwich and a new loyalty program: MyMcDonald’s. Described as a “new digital experience growth engine,” the personalized loyalty program and all-in-one platform will offer tailored promotions for members and the ability for customers to place orders “through the channel of their choice.” Test pilot in the Phoenix area over the coming weeks. Link to article on NRN
- Home Depot 6,000 units (we are guessing) — Reality Interactive, a leading retail technology design firm and digital agency in Middletown, Connecticut, announced the launch of its AXSIS™ Thermal Enabled Digital Hub. The leading home improvement retailer in the world has already deployed 6,000 units
- Pizza Automation Option – Basil Street Pizza — An autonomous pizza baking machine that cooks a thin crust brick-oven style 10″ pizza in 3 minutes for around $10 reducing exposure and risk with touchless baking and tap and swipe payment!
- NRN article – Touchless tech gets prioritized at restaurant chains during the coronavirus pandemic. QR codes, artificial intelligence and robots help make the lives of customers and employees easier. — Link
- PSA – Deceptive Meridian Temperature Tablets Endanger Public Safety. Includes video. — Link to IPVM article
- NRN article on Paul Brown Keynote — link
- AI Kiosk – Lenovo and Reese team up for AI-driven crowd behavior modification to maintain health protocols at sporting events. First use of AI we have seen in this fashion. LINK
- Betting Kiosk – Newgioco Obtains GLI-20 and GLI-33 Certification for Kiosk Installations of Elys Platform on Yahoo News LINK
- Canadian retailer vends ready-made meals from contactless kiosks. link
- Michigan DMV hits 1 million transactions. The kiosks located in stores around the state allow residents to renew license registrations and purchase tabs without going inside a branch office. There are 127 kiosks around the state with plans to add 23 more outside Secretary of State branches and at Kroger and Meijer stores.
- Texas A&M deploys self-swabbing COVID-19 testing kiosks
- Dubai Airport Kiosks — Nice pics. Your Contactless DXB Airport Experience Cranked Up A Notch As Emirates Introduces Self Check-In Kiosks In Dubai
- QSR with Self Service Kiosks, Pickup Cubbies Launches in Toronto. Here in the US there have been a few concepts using self-service ordering kiosks and pickup cubbies. Pioneers in the US space include Brightloom, formerly eatsa, and Little Caesars Pizza’s self-service mobile order pick-up station, known as the Pizza Portal.
- Amazon Go Stores are using palm biometrics now. Nice little unit and guessing fujitsu. Link
- From the UK — Kiosk and Digital Signage 2020 (KDS 2020), Europe’s leading one-day summit for kiosk and digital signage industry professionals has been postponed.
- Temperature kiosks — we saw an article push from a kiosk portal promoting Chinese temperature kiosks. We’ve notified the portal about the product and hopefully paid advertising does not trump public interest.
- CLEAR providing app and kiosks for MGM Resorts meeting in Minnesota. Combines identity credentials with COVID tests, Link
- Great background on Harrahs purchase of Caesars along with William Hill context — GGB Magazine
- Kioskmarketplace news — Emirates self check-in,
Walmart store redesign, Treasury to forgive PPP loans,
BioLife Sciences introduces touchless vending machines, Voice technology provider teams with Mastercard, ViewSonic introduces hand sanitizing stations, Toshiba introduces multifunction printer
- Can Kiosks Find New Life During Coronavirus? QSRMagazine article talking with Mike Geiger of Moe’s and also Michael Cecchini of Pure Green on kiosk opportunities. Link
- Digital Signage — Turns out DSE has no assets for refunding payments or anything. The digital presence at Digital Signage Connection is toast. Remains to be seen what DSF does. Link
- Gaming — Caesars Entertainment’s play for William Hill is the latest sign Las Vegas sees tons of upside in moving chips in the direction of online gaming and sports betting. Article
- Marriott CEO Sorenson on Hygiene Theater in Hospitality
- Viewsonic Offers Hand-Sanitizing Stations — The Health Flex Kiosks include options for integrated displays and secure storage for media players, routers or surge protectors, and a touchless hand sanitizer dispenser holder (hands-free dispenser is optional). See the catalog for hand sanitizer stations that the KMA offers.
- DSE Declares Bankruptcy – writeup on 16:9 — It was matter of time. It was a few years back they opted for quality argument over quantity. Show never grew. ISE and InfoComm are still running but we suspect most will migrate over to NRF just like we did in the kiosk industry.
- QSR Market Update Opinion – QSR & Fast Casual Restaurants – Is the Restaurant Business Getting Better? September 18, 2020 Editor Note: We do interviews with magazines (recently for NRN) and in those we express what we call “ad hoc” opinions based on what we have seen and heard. For sure
- Contactless Curbside Pickup Update El Pollo Loco – Self-Order with Geo-Fencing From National Restaurant News Sep2020
- 09/20 – HOW IS COVID-19 CHANGING THE SHAPE OF TOUCHSCREEN TECHNOLOGY? Dean Ward of Evoke Creative explains.
- 09/11 Buyer Beware — Appears to be a McDonald’s outdoor menu (Samsung OF55F?) with some severe burn. Link
- 09/11 Video – Behind-The-Scenes Look At Changes Coming To TSA Checkpoints Amid Pandemic | NBC Nightly News
- 09/11 Question: How to count people without any concerns regarding privacy or data protection regulations? Nice writeup by Wick of Heimann Sensors on LinkedIn – link
- 09/11 Questionable Claims — Copper-infused antimicrobial film – called NanoShield – its makers claim will self-disinfect something like a touchscreen in less than 15 minutes. Thanks to 16:9 for the expository article.
- 09/10 – PCAP TILE for seamless across multiple 55 inch screens announced by TSItouch (includes video) – link
- 09/10 Touchless Vending Kiosks for PPE – link
- 09/03 – HT News – Contactless Check-In Changing The Fraud Environment for Hotels (in a bad way)
- White Castle Trials of Vehicle Recognition Underway –
- 09/02 — 16:9 Interview with David Levin of Fourwinds Interactive post acquisition
- 09/02 — Touchless video demo by Tucker Lightsey of KIOSK
- 08/25 — Whole Foods Cashierless By Next Year? Amazon may be looking to bring the cashierless tech found at its Go convenience stores to Whole Foods supermarkets as early as next year
- 08/25 — Taco Bell Drive-Thru Expansion for Mobile Customer Orders Excerpt: Taco Bell is rolling out a new store design that combines digital innovation with a people-first approach.
- 08/25 — Circle K piloting autonomous self-checkout technology LINK
- 08/25 — Walmart adding new modern self-checkout bays in Wichita. Pics. LINK
- 08/25 — Five steps of legal advice on handling anti-mask customers from National Restaurant Association LINK
- 08/25 — From JAL website – Japan Airlines (JAL) today announced the decision to trial new touchless technology at Tokyo`s Haneda Airport, starting August 24. LINK
- 08/25 — DART Gets Touchless Kiosks for Wayfinding LINK
- 08/23 — Nice LinkedIn article on Project Ray and McDonalds.
- 08/23 — Article on UV-C Wands from CNET. The dangers of. LINK
- 08/20 — South Korea begins using a robot greeter. checks temperatures, dispenses hand sanitizer, enforces social distancing and makes sure you are wearing a mask. Thanks to Ross at QwickMedia. Video. Link
- 08/14 — More than 15,000 Canadians have died of an opioid-related overdose since January 2016. is transforming the distribution of regulated products with an integrated platform that combines industry-leading software, advanced biometrics, and tamper-resistant hardware. Article
- 08/13 – Digital signage news — Fourwinds Acquires SmartSpace. Workplace software for employees (tough market). Expands FWI’s international presence and capabilities with offices and employees in the US, UK, Europe, and Asia. Link
- 08/13 – report from IPVM on the Alabama Fever Detection deal which involves HKVision (blacklisted). $1M deal. Link
- 0812 – VA and Cerner appear to be “back on”. This time the date is October. Veterans Patient Check-in kiosk and Mobile in play here. Link
- 08/12 — Recommended Accessibility requirements for RFPs article by The Paciello Group (TPG). Link
- 08/11 — Simon Malls in talks with Amazon (ditto Penneys)
- 08/11 – TSA is putting in new ID verification (CAT). Credential authentication technology (CAT) at Thurgood Marshall Airport and others. Not kiosks, just desktop devices inline for use. Link
- 08/10 — GRUBBRR works with BlueStar. BlueStar is a Solutions-based distributor seeking to offer its customers complete solutions which can be taken to market and not just individual pieces of hardware. GRUBBRR will work with BlueStar for ready-to-go self-ordering solutions. BlueStar distributes much of the hardware used in GRUBBRR products, and now will have access to the software that can transform those products from simple hardware into automation solutions. Link to full article
- 08/04 — From HotelBusiness — Temperature Scanning Can Help Employees & Guests Achieve Peace of Mind– article link
- 08/04 – Elo announces Elo AccessTM temperature screening kiosk. Looks to be a “turnkey solution” application for wellness-check at the door. Specs for bolometer and camera not disclosed. Press release link
- 08/02 — Curative deploys first Covid19 testing kiosk in California. Not bad looking. Link
- 07/29 – Business News – McDonalds Profit Plunges 68%
- 07/29 – Henry Ford hospital adds temperature screening kiosks. Note that this has been misreported as retinal scanning when in fact after speaking to hospital they confirmed to KI that it is in fact inexpensive Infrared sensors.
- 07/29 – Esper Partners with Point Mobile rugged Android Lifecycle
- 07/29 – Sonic Launches New Design for Drive-In / Drive-Thru
- 07/26 — A man using a prosthetic mask stole more than $100,000 at casinos, prosecutors say. Colletti, 55, allegedly targeted his victims by illegally obtaining their personal information and then using counterfeit driver’s licenses to withdraw funds from their personal bank accounts via self-service kiosks at the casinos. The kiosks, operated by Global Payments Gaming Services, are used by the casino industry for bill-breaking, jackpot processing, cash withdrawals, cash advances, and ticket exchanges, among other services, according to the complaint. The kiosks require users to insert their driver’s license and the last four digits of both their Social Security number and phone number before checking account funds can be withdrawn. Each victim had previously enrolled to have their bank accounts linked to their profile in Global Payments’ “VIP Preferred Program,” the complaint said. Link to article on CNN
- 07/21 — How the pandemic is affecting business travelers in airports. Lots of pictures with this article. Malaysia, UAE, Canada, Doha. Link
- 07/21 — 170 companies now offering thermal imaging. In Just 6 Months, ‘Fever Cameras’ Have Become a Full-Fledged Industry More than 150 companies now sell alleged fever-detecting technology aimed at the coronavirus. Link
- 07/21 — Temperature screening — Suprema Adds Thermal Camera to Biometric Kiosk Solution LINK
- 07/21 – American Airlines unveils touchless kiosks. The kiosk prints the bag tags, all without the customer having to touch the kiosk. Link
- 07/20 – The Hawaii Department of Transportation (HDOT) has selected passenger temperature screening technology for use at Hawaii’s public airports to help protect the community and identify passengers with a potentially elevated body temperature. Nice article too at Homeland Security
- 07/20 – Temperature Screening Kiosk video for Border/Immigration by Wello.
- 07/20 — Olea offers financing on temperature kiosks. $8 per day for a temp screening kiosk including shipping and extended onsite warranty when you finance. Compared to assigning and employee to scan everyone coming in the building not to mention safety it’s a no brainer really.
- 07/16 – Olea Hires Director of Alliances & Partnerships – Olea announces the hiring of channel sales and partnerships industry expert, Rusty Gaynes, as Director of Strategic Alliances and Partnerships.
- 07/16 – Networld announcers new virtual summit — Self-Service Innovation Virtual Summit Dec. 8-9, 2020. Wide range of self-service interest including vending, food packaging and more.
- 07/16 – South Hall Kroger gets new DMV tag renewal kiosk. Link
- 07/16 – Webinars – July 16th — Panel Discussion — The rapid growth of kiosks and the next evolution beyond self-service
Thursday, 16th July at 4:00pm UK time
- Tradeshows – Yesterday (7/9) NRF announced the Big Show will not be happening in January. Instead it will be in early June. A virtual show will occur in January. Here is the link. We will be in 1503. Now NRF is just about two weeks after the National Restaurant Association show in Chicago. We were expecting the postponement as we became aware of several of their marquee “biggest show of the year” companies grounded their travel thru January. At NRA the KMA has a 10×20 in the Tech Pavilion. Here is our booth location.
- Payment — KIOSK Achieves Bill Payment Solution Approval by Intel and Becomes Affiliate Member of the Intel® Internet of Things Solutions Alliance – get the update: //lnkd.in/guvyWkX
- Customer Experience – Top 80 Stats About A Future Customer Experience Shaped By Technology — Link
- Electric Cars – Electric Car Charging Stations Are Finally About to Take Off – Bloomberg
- Kiosk Software – KioWare for Windows | Configuring KioTouch™ YouTube Video
- Airlines – Changing the way we fly and interact at airports with smart self-service solutions by Materna IPS GmbH. This is not a short #COVID response but a sustainable solution to upgrade the flyer’s customer journey. Pyramid Computer GmbH is very proud to be part of that solution. New Self-Bag Drop Materna
- Thermal Imaging — MoviTHERM launches FLIR A500-EST. A camera designed with your elevated skin surface temperature screening needs in mind. //zcu.io/yEJu
- Coming soon: The new embedded RFID module from Zebra Technologies. The RE4000 is Zebra’s first RFID module designed to be embedded into Zebra’s RFID printers and third-party OEM equipment. Endless applications include medical devices, kiosks, access control, smart lockers, robots, vending machines, casino terminals, ticketing systems, POS terminals and many more.
- McDonalds Kiosks — McDonalds permanently closing Times Square Flagship. Link. McDonald’s confirmed this week that the company has made the “difficult decision” to close the famed corporate store in Times Square, a move that was in the works prior to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Healthcare Kiosks — as news reports detail the impact COVID-19 will have on our population and the healthcare system that serves it, many medical facilities have put systems in place to streamline services and keep frontline workers safe…… — Link
- Budget Considerations for Self-Service Kiosk Success — Link — carefully consider each of these five high-level areas in solution budgeting – they will all come up. This is a macro view of the main elements of project budget, and supplier evaluation considerations that can most effect your budget
- Touchless Hand Sanitizer Kiosk video —
- Custom America announces the availability of the all new D4 desktop label printer – read more about the new product release here:
- Appetize on “What is a Virtual Kiosk” — Virtual Kiosk allows guests to instantly access mobile ordering on their smartphone. It uses QR or Quick Response Codes– a surprisingly easy to use technology– to bring guests directly into the ordering site.
- Evoke Partners with Core Intelligence on Distancing Application — We’re excited to partner with Evoke Creative for CORE | Intelligence Powered By FastSensor, designed to allow business owners to monitor social distancing in real-time through our groundbreaking, AI technology, all while allowing you to get to know your customers better than ever.
- Frank Olea Podcast with 16:9 — Excerpt on touchless — Yeah, it’s fun. It’s gimmicky. But yeah, getting the public to change their behavior is gonna be really hard. I mean, it ‘s about the path of least resistance, right? So unless it’s easier, it’s not gonna happen.
- New telemedicine kiosk option from Lilitab — Introducing new Telemedicine Tablet Cart. It’s perfectly suited for any healthcare environment to be wheeled into patient rooms allowing doctors to “see” their patients at a safe distance. It meets all ADA requirements for lying, seated, and standing positions with self-adjusting tilt.
- FDA Makes Hand Sanitizer Recommendations — FDA advises consumers not to use any hand sanitizer manufactured by Eskbiochem SA de CV in Mexico, due to the potential presence of methanol (wood alcohol), a substance that can be toxic when absorbed through the skin or ingested. FDA has identified the following products
- Video Call Kiosks from KIOSK — Compunetix is pleased to announce a partnership with KIOSK Information Systems (KIOSK) to deliver Video Call Center™ (VCC) on digital kiosks. Compunetix Video Call Center (VCC) for Healthcare is a browser-based, real-time voice and video workflow solution for healthcare providers that need to remain available to their patients in a safe and secure manner.
- Walk-In Testing Kiosks in South Korea
- Moviegoers return as Cinemark cautiously reopens — Cinemark is the first major theater chain in North Texas to reopen its doors, welcoming customers Friday at locations in West Plano, McKinney and northwest Dallas off of Webb Chapel. It will resume operations at other locations on a rolling basis in the coming weeks.
- Electronic Shipping Kiosks — D’Arrigo California has implemented shipping kiosks at their shipping facility in Salinas, CA. This innovative tool, which contains a proprietary software program, was developed to improve efficiencies of the shipping process. D’Arrigo California’s investment in the electronic shipping kiosks and its proprietary software program demonstrates its commitment to provide efficiencies throughout its supply chain.
- Will PPE Dispensing Kiosks Attract Travelers?
- MetroClick/faytech Launches Sanitization Solution with Thermal Sensing for Retail, Hospitality and Travel Companies LINK
- Ontario International Airport adds PPE kiosks in passenger terminals — LINK
- California Re-Opens 169 DMV Offices – Recommends DMV Now kiosk for transactions – LINK
- Touchless Sales Kiosks scam in Canada – Link
- Burroughs Pitches Kiosks – link
- Telemedicine Kiosks Sav-On Canada link
- Health Safety Kiosk from MPS – link
Feb 2019 – Wow Bao Expansion
Wow Bao announced further expansion plans within the East Coast market. In quarter one 2020, Wow Bao will open three new locations at some of the largest transportation hubs in the region, including Dulles International Airport, Boston Logan International Airport and Raleigh-Durham International Airport. //www.qsrmagazine.com/news/wow-bao-plots-east-coast-expansion-2020
Dec 2019 Vending Machines for Water
Californians are turning to vending machines for safer water. Are they being swindled?
Nov 2019 – Sports Betting Kiosk, Moe’s Grill, CLEAR Airport Expansion
|Senecas to open sports betting at three WNY casinos10 shares//www.newyorkupstate.
|Moe’s Southwest Grill To Open First All-Digital Restaurant In Oakland136 shares//pittsburgh.cbslocal.
|CLEAR’s Latest Expansion: Chicago-O’Hare Terminal 1by Kyle Potter 37 shares//thriftytraveler.com/
|Three Square Self Pay Market opens at CherryVale Mall2 shares//www.wifr.com/content/
More Kiosk News Links from Kiosk Manufacturers Association